The Plow Truck: 99 454 CCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I don't notice a significan't differance in diameter.

Edit: Specs online I'm seeing 20 vs 19.5, so not a big deal to me. That's only 1/4" all the way around.

Oh, I would have expected a 2" difference since the core height between the 2 is that? I still have my stock 1500 shroud on the shelf, I'll have to measure now I'm curious. Maybe the rest of the shroud grew and the fan hole stayed about the same.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Oh, I would have expected a 2" difference since the core height between the 2 is that? I still have my stock 1500 shroud on the shelf, I'll have to measure now I'm curious. Maybe the rest of the shroud grew and the fan hole stayed about the same.

We both have 99 454's with the tall radiator. I'm not sure the fan diameter changes much any way, as I think only our upper shroud is different.

Edit: The fan I used is not the S-truck fan, although I don't think that fan is terribly small either. The part number I used crosses to our trucks, but I think it was done retro-actively.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Check out this pic I took 100 years ago of the 2 uppers side by side.

You must be registered for see images attach

Looks like the holes are in fact about the same size.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Good news is the windshield doesn't seem to be leaking, though with this mess I should hope it doesn't.

It was this mess that made me suspect the windshield in the first place. The HVAC box, on the other hand, did leak. It leaked out the recirc intake, so I pulled the blower motor to verify what's above that.

Looks like the cowl intake to me. I had removed the cowl to be able to spray the hose directly down into the cowl. The 2 side drains seem to be working just fine as water absolutely pours out of them, and since I had the blower motor out I doused in there too to verify that the AC drain was working which it was. I also discovered the harness grommet wasn't seated into the firewall, that can't be helping me either. As for the box, it looks like that upper seal isn't quite doing its job? Or maybe that one screw is also to blame?

I'm guessing it's the the more outboard of the 2 here. This area was covered in decomposing tree guts when I first removed the cowl cover.

Can't forget about this gem on the driver's side either.

Nothing to see here.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm really fighting the urge to go outside and buy a license for the black box. . . or steal the 411 off the shelf for the Camaro.

There's so much more timing waiting to be dumped into this thing, even on cheap gas.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Today I hit the pull and pay, was planning on just grabbing a bunch of piddly interior crap. Ended up finding this.

Rot free white fenders with the paint still sticking, rot free inner fenders, and the rot free core support from the same truck. Found a good, clean 60/40 driver's seat too and grabbed that. And an airbox, window/lock switch, column clamshell, door switch, lock actuator, 4wd switch, trim pieces, the foam dealies that go behind the mirrors, parking brake release cable, weather stripping, and a bunch of other stuff that escapes me. It was a pretty good haul and I barely got out the door before they closed, but I have to go back. Not only for more piddly stuff, but also for a driver's bucket for my 1500. It was in insanely good condition. Dirty, but not worn at all. The outer bolster is still foofy! You just don't find that.

Good riddance to this mess. The whole lot sat on a rag/blanket or some ****.

See the glove zip tied around the airbox mount? Why?! Thank God that bungee cord is there to keep it all secure!

Much better, but I still need to fabricate something to plug that hole. There were no 454s at the yard to snag a resonator off of.

So now all 4 electric door locks work, the dome light works when the driver's door is opened, I can use the parking brake, and the passenger window now rolls down from the passenger side. Because I installed a new switch? Newp. Driver's side was locked. F me. One more spare can't hurt I suppose. So tomorrow I'll swing back over, grab what I couldn't today, and then gear up for the fender and core support swap. I need to figure out how to get those factory flares installed onto the 1500 fenders that I picked up.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I hit the pull and pay, was planning on just grabbing a bunch of piddly interior crap. Ended up finding this.

Rot free white fenders with the paint still sticking, rot free inner fenders, and the rot free core support from the same truck. Found a good, clean 60/40 driver's seat too and grabbed that. And an airbox, window/lock switch, column clamshell, door switch, lock actuator, 4wd switch, trim pieces, the foam dealies that go behind the mirrors, parking brake release cable, weather stripping, and a bunch of other stuff that escapes me. It was a pretty good haul and I barely got out the door before they closed, but I have to go back. Not only for more piddly stuff, but also for a driver's bucket for my 1500. It was in insanely good condition. Dirty, but not worn at all. The outer bolster is still foofy! You just don't find that.

Good riddance to this mess. The whole lot sat on a rag/blanket or some ****.

See the glove zip tied around the airbox mount? Why?! Thank God that bungee cord is there to keep it all secure!

Much better, but I still need to fabricate something to plug that hole. There were no 454s at the yard to snag a resonator off of.

So now all 4 electric door locks work, the dome light works when the driver's door is opened, I can use the parking brake, and the passenger window now rolls down from the passenger side. Because I installed a new switch? Newp. Driver's side was locked. F me. One more spare can't hurt I suppose. So tomorrow I'll swing back over, grab what I couldn't today, and then gear up for the fender and core support swap. I need to figure out how to get those factory flares installed onto the 1500 fenders that I picked up.
I love a good pull a part score.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I love a good pull a part score.

As do I. Sadly, today was not quite as satisfying, but was still productive. That foofy seat I spotted yesterday ended up being beige and not grey. F00k! For some reason when I'm in a beige truck, especially a dirty one, I think it's grey. But when I'm in a grey truck there's no question. I ended up laying a known grey sun visor on the seat to confirm before it was mine. Well dammit. I really want to find a mint grey seat for my 1500 before leaving CO. Onto the good news: I scored 2 tinted windows for the 1500 for $23! 50% off glass this month. I also nabbed tow hooks, air dam screws, blower motor resistor, and passenger door vent and screws. There'd better be a special place in Hell for whoever decided that resistor placement. What an absolute ********** to get out, let alone back in. At this point, I have 3 of my 4 fan speeds available for consumption (unless low was too quiet for my old ass to hear). I kept the old one to ohm out, I'm curious what fails on them as it physically appears to be just fine. Lastly, I pointed my attention toward the left rear corner as that blinker wasn't working. Initially I found a bunch of electrical tape and halfass twisted together wires. When Inl got the tape off this is what I had.

Yep, you guessed it, more ignorance. That red wire was just dangling under the truck, God knows what dumb function it performed before.

Here we are after a few heat shrink butt connectors and a tweaking on the circuit board connectors. Those were the reason for the left blinker not functioning. But you can still barely see the blinkers in the daylight from these lame Chinese taillight housings. I'm thinking I may hit the yard yet again tomorrow for stock tail housings and the legit stock PS cooler I forgot to nab for this thing. It has that crazy retarded dumb f00kin frame loop of a cooler as opposed to a proper cooler.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well I plugged the hole in the floor, but it's ugly and the metal around it is still paper thin.

New seat on the right, old one on the left.

Seems I got that one a good bit cleaner but you can still see a couple stains. It's now installed in the truck. After the floorboard is repaired, sealed, and painted I can FINALLY reinstall the not awesome carpet.