The Plow Truck: 99 454 CCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The new seat feels nice. Super glad I got my grubby mitts on it. On my way home from work today I swung by my friend's place and picked up his cordless angle grinder. This weekend I will return to the pull and pay for a few items I either forgot or didn't bring the tools for, to include a chunk of floorpan for this heap. While there, I learned the other frame shop in town that doesn't need an insurance claim and they are walk in for estimates and only booked out a couple of weeks, so I'm planning to swing by tomorrow to get the ball rolling on this thing.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I go through phases where I'll go almost every weekend if the weather cooperates, it's both an enjoyable trip and an agonizing experience. I know next weekend I'll be hitting up two different yards to get parts for "customers" and my own personal hoard.
I would go every week if I had the money and it wasn't raining.....
The nice thing about being unemployed is having time in the "normal" work day for stuff like that. The bad thing is the lack of funds.....
I've missed out on several good trucks to harvest parts from because what money I have,is going towards things like rent and phone bills.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going again tomorrow. :cool:

I swung by the frame shop after work and they were closed. He did answer the phone though, I guess something came up (4:30 on a Friday is my guess) and he dipped so I'll try again Monday, supposed to be business as usual. He said he's a week or 2 out which is nothing as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully he's not blowing smoke up my @$$. He made it a point to mention that these frames are easy to pull and also passed along they give way right behind the rear lower control arm mount. That could explain why the upper mount on the diff snapped too, so I'll wait to change that out until after the frame is pulled.

I just went out for another peek at the frame and something jumped out at me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Prior, the bit circled in red looked to have the bend pinched down compared to the good side. Looking at it today, I can see that that area is also pushed inward which is what pulled the wheel back in the opening. The front of the rail is pushed to the outside. The driver's rail basically runs parallel to the engine.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I got a chunk of floor pan today with the 3 plugs still in place.

At first I was gonna chop one out of a TBI Suburban, but found that pan was completely flat. I wonder when this change came about. Don't worry that's dirt not rust. Also grabbed a power steering cooler as the loop in the frame is just dumb. And a mirror switch so they can go up and down and steering column clamshells. Can't believe I found one intact. When I pulled in the driveway at home, I smelled antifreeze. I thought to myself it must be that shitheap Honda parked a couple houses back. When I got out though I saw steam pouring out of the grill. Nope, that's definitely me. Temp gauge was on 210, so it must have just happened. Truck didn't act hot and the gauges never caught my eye. I grabbed the hose to refill the radiator and quickly found the leak.

That couldn't have happened BEFORE I went to the junkyard. Parts stores want like $50 for that stupid thing. Plus you know the QD won't survive.

The other thing that's been bothering me is the ignition cylinder housing. There's no preload to push the ignition outward, so it doesn't catch the detents and you have to monkey around to find the off/lock position that no longer locks. The 2 little pins that do that are sheared off. My new cylinder has angered the VATS since day 1. I got a 95-97 cylinder and they changed in 98, not sure if that's why though. The 98+ housing can only be had from Dorman for $130, but the 97 housing is $67 made by GM. I went with the 97, worst case I figure I just have to disable VATS to make it all work which I needed to do anyway.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
@df2x4 was it you that had a GM part number for a restrictor fitting that threaded into the intake that eliminated the QD? My searches are failing me at the moment.