Testing possibilities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97hoeboy

Reaction score
i just bought a new project 97 2dr to go side by side with my current 97 2dr gasjob, truck is the diesel model is destroyed. backtracking a little i used to drive a GMC w4500 box truck (an Isuzu NPR for anyone who doesn't know), i fell in love with the 5.2l I4 diesel that it had inside connected to a GM 4l80e. now my theory is blending it into my Tahoe with a few mods to bring up the horsepower without affecting the torque too much. i've measured all my angles between the engine bay/firewall down to where the tail shaft would end up and i even have all the wiring figured out (not much of anything has to be spliced amazingly). i wanted to hear out the opinions of the GMT400 crowd before i started molesting my engine bay with this Japanese torque monster. i'll give you a snip-it of raw engine data
1997 6.5l D.D-v8: 215HP@3,200 rpm_440 lb·ft@1,800 rpm
2007 5.2l Isuzu I4: 203HP@2100rpm_521ft-lb.ft@1500rpm
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

97hoeboy

Reaction score
UPDATES!(without pictures, sorry guys and gals) 6.5l out (it makes a nice paperweight) 5.2l is officially mounted and coupled to the 4l80e/241c combo with little effort, now im currently working on the harness and modules so everything communicates smoothly along with fuel delivery. had a lot of fun figuring out the path that the exhaust would have to take, to come will be T.A.G or ranch hand bumpers (favoring T.A.G due to customization)

97hoeboy

Reaction score
i have sad news to report, this past week due to my own stupidity and being in a rush to forward the projects progress i didn't secure my lift properly against the frame, I've salvaged basically everything I've done (engine/trans/t-case/axles and suspension parts) the body itself is creased beyond repair. for now the project will be on the back burner till i find a new donor body possibly going a step further to make it into a four door diesel but i will keep you updated also i will be posting the wiring schematics, adapters, and pictures i have for details on the swap for anyone interested in also doing it.

p.s. don't be like me, take your time and think things through

97hoeboy

Reaction score
reviving this post,keep a watch out, unfortunately the truck will no longer be a gmt400, plans have changed, an 08 silverado was chosen to take its part, slight details have changed aswell but you will be finding out about that soon enough