Temp sending/sensor locations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my sending /sensor unit is now in the driver side head, in the summer months it will climb to around 220+ which makes me nervous, goes back down after moving along. I have a new radiator, fan clutch, fresh coolant 50-59, correct shroud with fan half in & out, new belts and new sensor & gauge. If upon arrival I lazer check the manifold radiator inlet and it says around 190-195'.
In reading on this subject I concluded that there is about a 20-25' difference in the 2 locations, the sensor in the head is also next to a header primary tube, in between them acuallly, so it makes sense to me.
Am I correct n this, or should I move/install another sensor in the intake manifold for reassurances ??
Thanks as always
Bobby V

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're correct, I know you have the big block but even on my 5.7L it'll do the same thing, the ECM is seeing 194 when the gauge is showing 208. Sitting around idling it will go up to 220*+ and the ECM sees 198* (with a 194* T-Stat). I think it's because the water jacket in the head is too small an, of course, closer to the source of heat namely, #s 1 & 3 cylinders.

BTW - how is your monster running anyway?

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're correct, I know you have the big block but even on my 5.7L it'll do the same thing, the ECM is seeing 194 when the gauge is showing 208. Sitting around idling it will go up to 220*+ and the ECM sees 198* (with a 194* T-Stat). I think it's because the water jacket in the head is too small an, of course, closer to the source of heat namely, #s 1 & 3 cylinders.

BTW - how is your monster running anyway?
Okis dokie then, just as my ole brain thought, it just makes me nervous when that gauge goes to the 220" mark.
I figured yesterday would be a good test so I took it out in the afternoon, put about 25 miles on it, the temps were around 95-100'. Figured that should be the proof in the puddin, if it was going to over heat then that should do it. No boiling over at all, got the same readings as before the swap.
I only have aboyt 65 mi on it so only pushed it down once, seemed pretty stout Pete, much better that the 7.4 :)
It stumbled going into second, I think we'll put the weaker secondary spring in now thou, and the fuel pressure was a little low so gotta bump that up a tad. its pretty loud now lol.
But the way it drives compared to that %^%&&*^ TBI is a dream, idles like it should, even with the A/C blowing, takes off smoothly also. Don't think the throttle is as responsive thou but maybe fine tuning it will help, or I don't know how to drive it yet, probably the latter lol
Ill try to get a cold start up video but for now a few photos of the big boy, cleaned up wiring harnesses too. Yu can see where the sender is in the drivers head on # 2 I think
Bobby V

You must be registered for see images attach

Not much of a video but gives you some idea
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited: