Temp problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
95 k1500 ,350 tbi..
Temp stays around 240 instead of 210. New water pump, flushed radiator and tried three different thermostats.. Any idea what it could be??

Reaction score
Yesterday when I checked it out the upper radiator hose was collapsed. Today I checked to see if the overflow hose to the reservoir was clear and it's not obstructed. Let it run to 240 and it just stays there.. upper radiator hose is pretty warm and very full, can't hardly squeeze it.. yet the radiator cap was cold to the touch

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Not that it is, but possible head gasket, they can do that with no other symptoms. You can get a coolant tester to check for exhaust gas just to be on the safe side though.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where are you reading the temp? If you're looking at the gauge, go get an infrared thermometer. The gauge, or the sending unit, could be wrong.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
That is what I was going to suggest first, especially if you are using the stock one in the cluster, but the way you talk about the hose being collapsed kind of leads me away from it being that, plus everything you've already changed. If you start it up with the rad cap off and rev it up a few times, does it overflow the radiator?

Reaction score
With the cap off it don't overflow till around normal operating temperature.
I just swapped the fan with one off another truck and it lowered the temp range from the mark before 3/4 down to half way between 1/2 and 3/4 (whatever the heck that is)
And yeah I'm going by the dash gauge..lol
I swapped the temp sensor with another one and it made no difference.
The hose only collapses when the truck has completely cooled down and sat for a while. Could it be a bad cap causing the hose problem, and would a lower temp thermostat lower it to normal? I'll also try flushing it again tomorrow

Thanks for the inputs :)

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
should have asked before, does it stay at 240 while driving, or just when sitting still? If the clutch fan is weak that could have certainly affected it at idle, but during normal driving conditions, anytime you are driving above 15mph the fan does nothing.

Reaction score
--- not my gauge cluster---
But after swapping out the fan, this is exactly where my gauge is staying steady temperature wise.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Last time I drove it, it slowly rose up to the 3/4 mark and stayed, when I stopped to make a turn it dropped to normal and then slowly crept back up.
I've been holding the RPMs around 1,500 to get it to warm up faster and see where it holds...