Tbi to carb help needed ( cam and distributor )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr mike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well kinda a long story but I'll try to keep it brief.
Ok on a whim I hoped on craigslist
And ended up buying a 1947 international Harvester KB for $900
I really don't know why It just looked cool and it came with a bunch of extras like steering column out of a s10 a Eldabrock performer intake and carburetor 2 drive shafts and on and on.
Now the fun part.
It's sitting on a Chevy S 10 frame
That's cool parts are cheap. It has some kind of ford rear in it like a
8 3/4 or a 9" ( I need to know how to identify that if anybody knows how)
It has a (1994 I think ) Chevy Caprice 350 TBI
And a 700r4 in it ( just mocked up with out Motor mounts yet)
So I decided to do away with the TBI
Since He threw in a performer intake and a four barrel carb since it will fit and he was going to put on it anyway
So my questions are with the stock heads of the 94 caprice 350 what is he absolute largest cam I could run for a really really rough idle but still be drivable.
I'm going to throw a loud timing gear in it. Just for more obnoxious noise.
I know I have to replace the stock distributor from the TBI that's in it now ( is what I am looking for as a replacement a HEI distributor with the big coil sitting on top and with the vacuum thingy on the side ???
Keeping the TBI is not an option I have no wiring harness, no fuel tank, no gauges and no computer.
This I'm going to build as a total rat rod so the less wiring the better.
There will be no mufflers on it as well.
First picture is just for reference of what the truck looks like
You must be registered for see images attach

Lol and my truck all in pieces

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hei in cap coil Is what you want and can be found cheap brand new complete on ebay for like $50 or so and speedway motors has em for $70.

cam is up to you, a big old nasty sounding cam aint gonna have much bottom end unless you have tall gears to help it.

maybe one of the comp thumpr cams or something like a 218 or so duration cam, maybe a tad more, with some tight lsa or lobe sep. like 110 or less, but it all also depdnds on the convertor in your transmission, it should match the cam, and your rear end gears.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
you need a vacuum and mach advnace if you have no wiring, big cam would be dumb without a stall and other supporting mods and you wont add much power to it with a swirl port head.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
good catch I completely forgot about the swirl ports. I hear they kinda run out of steam around 4k or so. Not to mention with most cam changes springs need to be changed to match the lift of said cam to run.

with that said,

a big cam in that seems to just be mean sounding without a lot to back it up. You could make it run ok but I think mostly that would be a smoke show, just using the bigger rear end gears like 4.11's or so.

Also if that intake is not made for the tbi heads, the 4 center bolt holes are at a different angle and require either some adapters, and drilling those holes out, or the right intake to fit those heads.

You may be better off finding another set of heads, either old school or vortec's, then change to a vortec carb intake or use the intake you have with old heads if it's not for the 87-95 heads.

way to tell? look for numbers on the intake, reg. edelbrock performer is 2101 or something, just look it up in summit or jegs or something. some are on the bottom.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not a problem getting ready to ditch my tbi setup and go carb on my 88 truck. I'm just going to swap heads since I have some and then an intake also, but most likely buy myself a used alum. one.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good advice on the motor. The diff is a 9", as the 8 3/4" have don't have a removable center section, and use an inspection cover on the rear like most GM diffs.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

mr mike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update the intake is a 2104 and will fit with out dilling it.
So I did some checking and it looks like it's a sbc 305
So I made some calls and just picked up a 400 sbc that's bored 60 over out of a running 79 chevy k1500 my buddy just said I could just have it and when I was done with it just scrap it and give him the cash from that.
So it works out on my end so now I have a nice 400hp toy.
But being 60 over its on its last rebuild so I'll be looking for a 350 to replace it at some point.