TBI rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe my regulator was shot and leaking down the backside of the bowl, through the square hole? Is this much buildup common? It was all mostly around the bowl and inside bowl. Had a terrible bad gas smell when tearing it apart, and the PO said it sat for almost 2 years before I bought it. Cleaning commencing today, cross fingers this was my idle issue....

Attachments

• 20210807_075841.jpg
    20210807_075841.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210807_075759.jpg
    20210807_075759.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210807_075754.jpg
    20210807_075754.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210807_074706.jpg
    20210807_074706.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210807_074700.jpg
    20210807_074700.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 27

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never seen debris build-up in the spring area of the regulator.

The important thing is that there's no debris in the fuel area of the regulator--if there is, you'll have to pull the injectors and check the screens; perhaps clean or replace the injectors.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never seen debris build-up in the spring area of the regulator.

The important thing is that there's no debris in the fuel area of the regulator--if there is, you'll have to pull the injectors and check the screens; perhaps clean or replace the injectors.
The top side of the regulator was clean, and the Injector screens were clean too. As for the bowl and below regulator, it was ridiculous. Obviously a regulator leak I assume? I never rebuild a tbi before.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is pretty extreme and ive never seen one that bad
but,
The center of the diaphram is steel and so is the spring.
Pulled this one at about 40k on ethylated fuel. If you live in a salt air or really damp environment and have ethyl fuel and some bad gaskets and seals on the the tbi,
I can see it cruding up pretty bad.
But you win on that one!
TBI rebuild is actually really easy.
Dont use the screws to pull the plate onto the seals. You will bend the top plate.
Oil the seals and gently push the top plate down with you thumbs.
Check the top plat for flatness first.
The injectors have tiny little screens on the side of them held in by little friggen plastic tabs.
You need those.
It may sound stupid, it will look stupid.
Stick your head inside a big cardboard box when you try to put those in.
They are essential and they will pop off and fly away and you will never find those wee little ******** again.

Attachments

• 16283911601571973141326.jpg
    16283911601571973141326.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 14

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is pretty extreme and ive never seen one that bad
but,
The center of the diaphram is steel and so is the spring.
Pulled this one at about 40k on ethylated fuel. If you live in a salt air or really damp environment and have ethyl fuel and some bad gaskets and seals on the the tbi,
I can see it cruding up pretty bad.
But you win on that one!
TBI rebuild is actually really easy.
Dont use the screws to pull the plate onto the seals. You will bend the top plate.
Oil the seals and gently push the top plate down with you thumbs.
Check the top plat for flatness first.
The injectors have tiny little screens on the side of them held in by little friggen plastic tabs.
You need those.
It may sound stupid, it will look stupid.
Stick your head inside a big cardboard box when you try to put those in.
They are essential and they will pop off and fly away and you will never find those wee little ******** again.
Yep it was pretty bad. Never done a tbi before and even I know that was bad. Got her all cleaned up and rebuilt, and the damn kit didnt have the return line crush washer. I blew it out somewhere while blowing the crut out I'm hoping I can find it in a lowes specialty parts bin or something. Wyt?

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep it was pretty bad. Never done a tbi before and even I know that was bad. Got her all cleaned up and rebuilt, and the damn kit didnt have the return line crush washer. I blew it out somewhere while blowing the crut out I'm hoping I can find it in a lowes specialty parts bin or something. Wyt?
Maybe. You can also look through the Dorman hating life hardware section at your local store.
That seal is Teflon (PTFE) and they are metric.
You can try looking online for fuel line gaskets for a TBI220 but the only ones I found were 10 bucks plus 30 bucks shipping.
One of mine was split so I took one of the wifes bottles of nail polish remover on the theory that it must be pretty damn chemical resistant,
And carved a new one out of the side of it by doing the layout and slowly melting it with an x-acto blade mildly heated with a map gas torch.
It worked long enough to verify that the rebuild was right.
Then a couple of days later I went to the pick and pull and stole every damn one of those I could find.
Ive never tried but if you can find the ID and the OD of that gasket, that teflon is pretty thin.
I wonder if you could make your own with a gasket punch set?
And you ever need to cut a nice clean hole through your dash to install a switch or something like that?
Get a good box knife, not a cheapo a good metal one.
Heat the blade and melt through it and keep reheating it.
Learned that from my old freind J.J.
Works awesome.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe. You can also look through the Dorman hating life hardware section at your local store.
That seal is Teflon (PTFE) and they are metric.
You can try looking online for fuel line gaskets for a TBI220 but the only ones I found were 10 bucks plus 30 bucks shipping.
One of mine was split so I took one of the wifes bottles of nail polish remover on the theory that it must be pretty damn chemical resistant,
And carved a new one out of the side of it by doing the layout and slowly melting it with an x-acto blade mildly heated with a map gas torch.
It worked long enough to verify that the rebuild was right.
Then a couple of days later I went to the pick and pull and stole every damn one of those I could find.
Ive never tried but if you can find the ID and the OD of that gasket, that teflon is pretty thin.
I wonder if you could make your own with a gasket punch set?
And you ever need to cut a nice clean hole through your dash to install a switch or something like that?
Get a good box knife, not a cheapo a good metal one.
Heat the blade and melt through it and keep reheating it.
Learned that from my old freind J.J.
Works awesome.
I ended up getting a pack of fuel line o rings and lubedit up good and made it up. Felt a bit squishy but no leaks yet. No one had a rebuild kit avaliable so I did what I could for now....

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ended up getting a pack of fuel line o rings and lubedit up good and made it up. Felt a bit squishy but no leaks yet. No one had a rebuild kit avaliable so I did what I could for now....
Keep an eye on it. It really does need a flat seal between those surfaces.
I dont think an o ring will properly seat without deforming and causing a leak.
The big concern is if that o ring fails and causes a fuel spray onto the exhaust.
In other words, not a massive liquid leak, but a atomized vapor leak.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well idle issue still occurs, rebuild made no difference. Other than starting up much faster.....

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Check timing. Set it back to the base of 0*. Clean the IAC valve. There is plenty of things that could cause a bad idle.