TBI gas mileage, am I doing it wrong?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nobody's mentioned fuel pressure yet. What's your fuel pressure? I think 12.5 is what you want, most will be lower and cause excessive gutlessness. The regulator springs break. Another cause is a plugged fuel filter that's never been replaced.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That I'm not really sure about. I've never done this personally, never owned a TBI truck. I'm sure someone else can answer that though.

@someotherguy, @magimerlin, you guys have any idea? Seems like I've seen you all talk about this before.

EDIT - You'll definitely need to do all 14 if you have the later style VSSB though.
I have a 7 pin in my 94... I put the dip switches in it... really easy.... I get them at Radio shack...

In this pic..
Left is the part
Middle is a finished 7 pin unit
Right is a stock 7 pin unit
You must be registered for see images

If works great and when I change tire size or gear ratios I can adjust my shift points accordingly

sent from what use to be a great country...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a better pic of part....
You just cut the number 8 prongs off to be able to use it....
You must be registered for see images

350chevy719

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately our radio shacks closed lol and to drive to Colorado Springs in my truck just wouldn't be worth it. Could just order it. But thank you for the info! Will order asap!! And check my fuel system out

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No problem... I must have missed it but.... what year is your truck?

You can check "Fry's" (big computer store) or similar store... but can easily be ordered online aswell.. where are you located?

350chevy719

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mines a 95. I'm in Pueblo, Co. About 35 minutes south of Colorado Springs

350chevy719

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No problem... I must have missed it but.... what year is your truck?

You can check "Fry's" (big computer store) or similar store... but can easily be ordered online aswell.. where are you located?

So how did you go about installing the switch? Did you drill out the old solder and push pins in or just push them in? I've never dealt with chips and boards before

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you never have and can not solder do not try it.. you heat up the old solder and use a solder sucker to get old solder off board then take off old jumpers.. then insert dip switches and resolder... you do it wrong and you can destroy the printed circut board

350chevy719

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I were to pull one out of a tbi 4x4 would it be the same as mine? So I could have a practise one pursue. Or would the truck have to be 95 silverado? I also have the 3/4 ton package. Does that make any difference?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4x4 or not and 1/2, 3/4 doesn't matter.. but.. take yours out (it's really easy) and see if you have the single set of summers or the double. That way you can get the same as you have mow... if it's single (like in my puc with the part)let me know.. I've got one done(rhe actual one in the picture i posted)I'd sell yah.. I just don't have any of the doubles...