TBI e85 conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend one of those kits.

I have not had experience converting this platform to E85 but I did convert my Saturn Redline to run the cheap race fuel.

Most cars made after 1991 are capable of running E85 with out replacing the fuel supply components. On my 06 Redline, all I really needed to do was a custom tune. I also went from 60# to 80# fuel injectors because you need approximately 30% more fuel using E85. I also converted to a Return style fuel system to give me more control over fuel pressure under vacuum and boost.

I don't know anything about the GM TBI system so I don't know if it had the capacity to provide about 30% more fuel without upgrades.

I'm interested in finding out what might need to be done on this platform. I plan on converting my 99 from the CPI to the MPI and running E85.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
E85 will give you more power, but your gas mileage will go down. I don't recommend changing over, pretty much everything needs to be either replaced or removed and flushed.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
E85 is great for a modded Mustang or Camaro cause of the octane level seen a few Mustang mags do the conversion was worth it, but if its just going on a daily driver thats not really modded and doesnt need more octane skip it, ya e85 is cheaper but your mpg will drop so in the end not really saving alot

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I am going to do it, I just decided. My research says it will all work and to expect between 5% - 15% loss in mpg's since I will be able to switch between regular gas, mix of both and 100% e85. The hq for the FFI system is in Denver, so if I have any issues I'll go talk to them. I'll let you all know if it's worth it after I get some experience with it. Planning on having her up and running by March.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure to advance your timing to take advantage of the increase in octane. Your truck will feel a putzy running E85 if you don't.

Good luck.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Not yet, its actually getting quite complicated and I would be better off running a stand alone computer so for now I don't want to spend that much money on the truck. I have body work I want fixed first!