Tape Deck Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^This! I am not spending $$$ for something I could do myself once I find an OE tape player.
Never you mind what you'll do, 7you'll do what I tell ya you'll do and for right now your going to be Mr pink and that's the last I'm gonna hear of it, do you understand your pink.

94ChevyZ71

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has or had this issue but the Cassette player in my truck doesn't work. When I bought the truck several years ago I tried it just to see if it worked and it did. The radio is all stock and works like a dream. I found a bunch of my dads old tapes the other day and would like to listen to them while I'm sitting in traffic on my way to work lol. The tapes will go in fine but when I turn the player on all it does is click and won't allow me to play or rewind the tapes. It ejects them fine though. Tried cleaning the reader inside the deck but no luck there. Hopefully someone on here has the answer to this because I really want to listen to these Motley Crue and Van Halen tapes that I got. Thanks!

Attachments

• Tape Deck.jpg
    Tape Deck.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 5

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For those w/ the 1.5 din radios & want to keep a factory radio, here's some food for thought.

Similar vintage Pontiac Grand Prix uses the same radio harness & some have the graphic band equalizer. Even has the slave cable jack. Down side is that they use a diff radio mount. You just need to use the base plate off of your stock radio & attach it to the donor radio.
I've done this several times over the years.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210811-201701_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210811-201701_Chrome.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210811-201718_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210811-201718_Chrome.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 10

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For those w/ the 1.5 din radios & want to keep a factory radio, here's some food for thought.

Similar vintage Pontiac Grand Prix uses the same radio harness & some have the graphic band equalizer. Even has the slave cable jack. Down side is that they use a diff radio mount. You just need to use the base plate off of your stock radio & attach it to the donor radio.
I've done this several times over the years.
That's awesome sauce. Man whoever passed that to you or if your own discovery I am humbled. I always did see some of that future euro Pontiac styling in the finish of the OBS interior, radio, door handles. That's a great tip which makes sense. Thanks!

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's awesome sauce. Man whoever passed that to you or if your own discovery I am humbled. I always did see some of that future euro Pontiac styling in the finish of the OBS interior, radio, door handles. That's a great tip which makes sense. Thanks!

I found a random pic many moons ago w/ 1 installed, person never responded to how it was accomplished. So I picked up a cheap radio & figured it out.
Another plus for some is the red lighting that Pontiac was using.

Welcome

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season worst in 20yrs F!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cassette players are prone to break (too many Mech parts). And who or whom still has a functional cassette? My last one was Cash. Prison Blues. Forgive my insanity. Just cracked a new Home Brew style. Double Trouble Heavy IPA. All Good, very goodness. Did not get the cassette option when I ordered the Chev ($$$$) Receiver is Outstanding, can pick up the Chicago on a clear night.

highwaystar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I now have 3 units refurbished, listened to Alice in Chains Dirt cassette this morning on the way to work. Also have an oem delco am/fm 8 track in my '78 Trans Am, got a Van Halen tape in there. I have an extensive tape collection since the 70's. Vintage is fun!

MrRedBailey

Reaction score
Well, this is a fun thread. I grew up with tapes, so I like my cassette deck to work. I hadn’t used it in many years (I turned the radio off sometime in 1999 and didn’t turn it back on until 2016) and one channel while playing a tape didn’t work. I pulled the radio, nosed around a bit and disconnected and reconnected the ribbon cable in there. Both channels on the deck worked again! For one week. Since then, I just plugged in an fm transmitter and pair my phone to the radio, but the tape deck is still a special level of fun to me.

MrRedBailey

Reaction score
I now have 3 units refurbished, listened to Alice in Chains Dirt cassette this morning on the way to work. Also have an oem delco am/fm 8 track in my '78 Trans Am, got a Van Halen tape in there. I have an extensive tape collection since the 70's. Vintage is fun!
There’s nothing quite like old Van Halen on cassette. You can listen to it from beginning to end! I can do the same with that AIC with the dog on the cover, too.