Synthetic oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can use synthetic trans oil, I am using it in my truck, it's good stuff!
Yea im with you....seeing as how my truck is on its 3rd tranny....haha...since the last one came from gm performance parts i decided it would be a good idea to go with a tci deep trans pan...a trans temp gauge in the pillar and mobile 1 synthetics....100k miles now and she is still butter!

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Use whatever you want. If you maintain it properly, it will perform as it should for as many miles on $1.50 transmission fluid as it will on the most expensive synthetic. Same goes for the engine. The ONLY reason to run synthetic oil is if you're changing your oil so often you'd benefit from the added time between changes. (meaning you should be extending OCI by 2x or 3x depending on the engine) If you're running it on the false assumption it's "better" for the engine/transmission, you're just wasting your money.

For transmission fluid, I'd personally keep on running whatever cheap DexIII is on sale if it has high miles. If it's a newer rebuild though, switch to DexVI. It's like $3/qt at hellMart and GM Approved, so there's no need to spend $6/qt at another place. The fluid spec for DexVI already puts it in the category of higher priced synthetics, so take that for what it's worth.

I've been running 15w40 Mobil Delvac in the summer and 5w40 in the winter for years now, and changing it at 10K miles with no issue.. (i average 65K per year)

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Never used it, for the only reason that I've been told that if you have a seal or gasket that sweats, it will become a leak.
Also , to never use it as a break-in lube.
I've seen dyno tests on the weekend T.V. carshows showing where it can free up horsepower. Something like 10 HP, when the crankcase, tranny, & rear end are all switched over to it.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Never used it, for the only reason that I've been told that if you have a seal or gasket that sweats, it will become a leak.
Also , to never use it as a break-in lube.
I've seen dyno tests on the weekend T.V. carshows showing where it can free up horsepower. Something like 10 HP, when the crankcase, tranny, & rear end are all switched over to it.

Lol, because everyone runs around at WOT all day long to actually see a benefit from less parasitic drag.

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol, because everyone runs around at WOT all day long to actually see a benefit from less parasitic drag.

Seriously. Not worth the time and expense to switch IMHO.

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the only thing i have ever done with mine is that I use 4 quarts of valvoline and 1 quart of lucas....mine taps alil in its old age lol but i have used conventional for 300k on the original engine.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My niece uses Royal Purple in her car engine well when I had it while she was off shore Navy the engine oil would always look brand new that's why im thinking the stuff is good. Im going to try it on my next Trans along with a deep oil pan I have im also going to put a drain plug on the pan I have two to choose from I found two super cheap on ebay.

Guys for years my reverse has had a slight slip when putting it in I have tried Lucas and it didn't help but it has been doing good im going on about six years with it. I wonder what it could be I really don't want to have Trans removed?

Nitrofreak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
SOmerhing to think about.

Background: my father (and me in me recent years) have rebuilt,serviced, and re-valved snowmobile and dirtbike shocks. Most companies run a 25w oil. We decided not to pay through our posterior for this exspesive hydrolic oil and to knock it off. Bombardier shock oil ( we run mostly ski-doo) is MilSpec 5606. We found out in our research that it is rebottled 5606 aircraft landing gear fluid. MilSpec is a military grading for oil, 5606 like any other will have a inch thick book on viscosity, retension, contamination...etc.

The story: synthetics started in the aviation industry, and not because they are/were any better. They don't burn! The theory was that crashing a plane full Of synthetics as aposed to castor oils is much less of a flame infested scenario. It took them three years to meet "MilSpec" 5606 with a synthetic oil. It took that long to make a synthetic come close to a castor oil for performance?

I don't believe through all the research done in my house that synthetics are any better, I believe both castor and synthetics have good properties. Castor fOr lubrication, ( great for high horsepower 2-stroke crank bearings) and synthetics seem to last a little longer before contaminating ( shocks) and survive high heat a little better.

Oil cOmpanies have done a great sell job on both. And I think as long as you run the specified oil, dispite being synthetic or not, keep the oil clean and don't break it down with heat, you will be fine . Just my opinion tho.

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most new cars are now coming with synthetic oils and if you dont run them you'll void the warranty so the manufactcers must know something.
Just some food for thought.
Like I said all I run is synthetics in my vehicles.