Sylvania Composite headlight adjusters frozen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I just completed a Spyder Glass mod. The adjuster’s imo that come with them are crap. I just removed the grey OE light housings from my original set of lights and mounted the Spyder Glass to these. I tried pinching the tabs to release them, got a couple, but it was tedious. In the end, since I was tossing the original OE lights, I just easily broke the plastic around the tabs for the adjusters. Then remove adjusting brackets from Spyder’s and the OE part snaps right in. Now they have good OEM GM adjuster’s. These will be replacements for the NOS OEM lights I just recently installed. 4 High Mod is coming soon, so things should get even brighter!
You must be registered for see images attach
I had to do this with f150 but the adjusters were in yikes shape then. 1 died from small deer impact and 1 died from adjustment (but it kept the setting thankfully)

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Edit: Check these out too. This was pointed out in ^^^Dorman part reviews.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hmm, the more I look at these, the more I think these are for sealed beam headlights.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking junkyard, was just at one last weekend and a few “new” ones were there. One had a beautiful complete front end including grille, and lights weren’t too faded.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More pics of them in OEM adjusting brackets.

What’s your opinion of the illumination pattern for those compound reflectors (high and low)? Pictures would be very helpful.

Those are the Spyder lenses, yes?

(Copy of @Caman96 ’s picture attached, edited)

Attachments

• B1E0D183-1FE1-4B29-978B-91BB2EAB76FC.jpeg
    B1E0D183-1FE1-4B29-978B-91BB2EAB76FC.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s your opinion of the illumination pattern for those compound reflectors (high and low)? Pictures would be very helpful.

Those are the Spyder lenses, yes?

(Copy of @Caman96 ’s picture attached, edited)
I actually took some pictures before I installed the NOS headlights. Truth is the pictures don’t actually show the truth. IMO, the NOS OEM lights blow the Spyder’s away. I just received my Big 3 and 4 High Mod kits, not installed yet.
Honestly, I’m content with what I’ve got now, so with 4 High Kit it’s only going to improve.
Bottom line, Spyder’s are an improvement over original faded lenses, maybe with 4 High it wouldn’t have left me wanting more. I’m sure Arteb’s are way better than Spyder’s. Adjusters are cheap too!

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottom line, Spyder’s are an improvement over original faded lenses, maybe with 4 High it wouldn’t have left me wanting more. I’m sure Arteb’s are way better than Spyder’s. Adjusters are cheap too!

I was curious.

I had similar, compound reflectors from both TYC and APC and their pattern was really poor, particularly on low. Compound reflectors can be very good, but in my experience most non-OEM are not (with one exception, see at the bottom).

About the Artebs:

I was driving after dark a couple days ago, out in the country where it's quite dark, and heavy clouds obscured the moon.

The Artebs, on low, cast an extremely broad pattern. I could see very well into each ditch on both sides of the road and nicely "down road", within the limits of the low-beam vertical cut-off. I pass though some timber areas where deer hang out, and low-beam gave me useful illumination.

On high, the Artebs illuminate down-road very well, but the pattern is narrow and leaves the ditches relatively dark. Seeing deer in the nearby ditches wasn't easy.

The four-high mod, which I've yet to try, should work very well on "high", providing both down-road and ditch illumination. @962500HD wired his up "four-high" and posted some pictures in the Arteb Users' thread.

I need to get out and take some pictures of mine as well. I always said I would do it but I haven't, yet. I need a big wall and a dark night...

About non-OEM compound reflectors:

I had a pair of Hella 4x6 compound reflectors in my 1995 S10 Blazer and their pattern was VERY good, as they're ECE compliant. But they're also DOT compliant, which compromises their pattern somewhat. While they aren't applicable to the GMT400, they're good to know about...

Hella p/n 008888101 165mm Hi-Lo H4 Conversion Headlamp, DOT and ECE

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, the more I look at these, the more I think these are for sealed beam headlights.

@454cid, take a look through these items and see if you find something you can use.

I see at least one headlight adjusting assembly on their website: