Free to me GMC 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly disagree. Make sure you sell that rear end, as there are plenty who would want it.
I shall definitely sell it, I’m glad I don't need anything off it so I can sell it as a complete unit. Any idea how much to ask? It’s not exactly a rare axle and being the semi floater I’d assume less desirable than its FF brother.
Well odds are whatever disc brake kit you're considering is trash, so I'd recommend fixing what you have instead. Properly serviced drum brakes last quite a while. You've got the big 13" drums, they'll lock before the fronts do when everything's set up correctly.

I’m putting in OEM GMT800 2500 brakes, it’s what came factory on H2 axles. They should be nice and it’s all OEM stuff so replacement parts will be plentiful and affordable. I happen to have a full brand new set sitting in a shelf begging to be put on something.

Drum brakes are every bit as effective as discs. The main benefit to discs is they don't require regular adjustment to retain their braking ability.

I do agree drums can be effective I just don’t like messing with them (probably because I always swap them out and therefore am ignorant to their ways) and more importantly they are ugly. Looks are all that really matter.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think for added new cost, all your time and effort will be less than that swap. Maintaining drum brakes isn’t that hard and for ease of swapping in new rear pads, honestly, how often is that needed? But, you have at it, definitely your call. :patriot:

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still think for added new cost, all your time and effort will be less than that swap. Maintaining drum brakes isn’t that hard and for ease of swapping in new rear pads, honestly, how often is that needed? But, you have at it, definitely your call. :patriot:

Think of the weight savings! :ROFLJest:

I’m definitely not disagreeing the drums are probably the cheaper option. I’m just one of those idiots that can’t leave stuff alone.

Dantheman1540

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found all my axle bits for the H2 axle, only need to buy outer wheel bearings which tbh it could probably survive with the ones in it, but if it’s getting a full rebuild might as well do all new. Axle guy is two weeks out, but said he likes doing the aam 9.5s so just $300 for labor.

Put 100 miles on the truck so far, can’t wait to really dive into the suspension because it’s definitely tired. I have a strong urge to just buy 4600s for it now, but the evil voice in my head is telling me to get something custom valved and really science out the very small amount of wheel travel I know the front of these trucks have.

Anyone have the 4600s or something different and how do you like them?