Sylvania Composite headlight adjusters frozen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just completed a Spyder Glass mod. The adjuster’s imo that come with them are crap. I just removed the grey OE light housings from my original set of lights and mounted the Spyder Glass to these. I tried pinching the tabs to release them, got a couple, but it was tedious. In the end, since I was tossing the original OE lights, I just easily broke the plastic around the tabs for the adjusters. Then remove adjusting brackets from Spyder’s and the OE part snaps right in. Now they have good OEM GM adjuster’s. These will be replacements for the NOS OEM lights I just recently installed. 4 High Mod is coming soon, so things should get even brighter!
You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More pics of them in OEM adjusting brackets.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I tried again getting my adjusters loose, and it wasn't happening. I used a 1/4" drive breaker bar and actually spun the black clips in their square holes.

Your idea looks like a good one, but unless I can free up the threaded rod, I'd just end up with new reflectors/lenses on seized adjusters. I do see that the head of the threaded rod looks like a torx, so that might help me.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I tried again getting my adjusters loose, and it wasn't happening. I used a 1/4" drive breaker bar and actually spun the black clips in their square holes.

Your idea looks like a good one, but unless I can free up the threaded rod, I'd just end up with new reflectors/lenses on seized adjusters. I do see that the head of the threaded rod looks like a torx, so that might help me.
Yes it's a T20 if memory serves correctly. Haven't had to do mine recently. Bad thing about these, there's so much plastic. It takes a set over the years. Have you tried PB Blaster or graphite lube (like Lock Ease?)

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yes it's a T20 if memory serves correctly. Haven't had to do mine recently. Bad thing about these, there's so much plastic. It takes a set over the years. Have you tried PB Blaster or graphite lube (like Lock Ease?)

I used a Marvel Mystery oil product that's no longer sold.... a spray can version. I let it soak a couple days, but there just doesn't seem to be much of a gap for it to get where it needs to be.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Edit: Check these out too. This was pointed out in ^^^Dorman part reviews.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Edit: Check these out too. This was pointed out in ^^^Dorman part reviews.

Oh very interesting. I didnt know those were a available. I wonder how the quality is.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh very interesting. I didnt know those were a available. I wonder how the quality is.
According to reviews not that great but the screws are ok and the ones in second link are good quality. Maybe try and score screws from junk yard.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
According to reviews not that great but the screws are ok and the ones in second link are good quality. Maybe try and score screws from junk yard.

I don't see how screws from the junkyard would be any different than my originals. This is getting aggravating. Anything that I need to turn won't, and anything I need to hold still, I can't. I finally got two of the little adjuster gearboxes off, but I think I stripped the insides of another. I can't get the actual reflector and lenses separated from the bracketry. I'm starting to wonder why I'm doing this. If I start cutting, I'll be destroying the very thing I'm trying to save.

I may buy those plastic pieces you posted. I just may replace the one on my Artebs that I needed to take apart. It's not horrible, but if I can replace it with new, I may as well.