Swapping 98k2500 454/4l80e into 98 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newguyinnc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, have a 1998 k2500 454/4l80e truck that has a bent frame. Motor and transmission both rebuilt with under 15,000 miles on them. I also have a 1998 k1500 with the 5.7/4l60e , motor has a spun rod bearing. Question is, seeing as though both trucks are 1998 and already own them both , can I just disconnect the wiring harness from the 454 truck at the firewall and transplant drivetrain , ecu , and harness into the k1500 without having to mess with wiring inside the cab? Worst case scenario I could swap out the cabs, but they're different colors, so trying to avoid that if possible. Not worried about axles and suspension. The 454 was rebuilt bone stock and I don't abuse the truck.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In theory yes. I guess there is another small wiring harness that goes in the cab on the pass side firewall, but not sure what it is. But, since you have both trucks, it should be a matter of swapping things over.

newguyinnc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In theory yes. I guess there is another small wiring harness that goes in the cab on the pass side firewall, but not sure what it is. But, since you have both trucks, it should be a matter of swapping things over.
I'll have to take a look at it in the morning and see what's on the passenger side. I just don't wanna deal with having to pull the dash.