swap/upgrades to front calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the brake pedal is a PINA to get to lol i just changed mine out.. there is a braket on the right side of the steering that has 2 15mm bolts.. move it and the brake bolt its WAY up in there lol

small hands is a BIG plus!!

You must be registered for see images attach

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah there were 1/2 ton GMT 400's with 6.5 TD's in them from the factory.

Dang that's cool. I bet they were pretty rare though. Heck I'd consider the 6.5TD's rare around my area. Well except for one farmer that I know (and currently work for) who I think has bought up every gmt-400 diesel that comes up for sale lol He's got 3-4 of them... I've probably only ever seen 3-4 other driving around my town.

For this swap would you buy a new or re-manufactured unit or would you get everything from a junk yard? I'd imaging that some of it like the pedal would be fine to get from a yard but would you recommend getting a new master cylinder and stuff?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I would buy a new master cylinder, and get a remand hydroboost unit, but I would go to the salvage yard first and pick up a cheap used unit for a core because the core charge is like $100 for it. Also like you said a used pedal would be fine for me.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My DD is running 1 ton calipers right now and it is still vacuum boost, and it works great.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind on the HB swap is to run braided brake hoses-or at least brand new hoses at the least. The HB has over twice the pressure as a vacuum system and it will blow an old brake hose in a panic stop.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind on the HB swap is to run braided brake hoses-or at least brand new hoses at the least. The HB has over twice the pressure as a vacuum system and it will blow an old brake hose in a panic stop.

That's part of the reason I'm going to wait to do the HB swap or even the 1 ton calipers swap until I can afford the money to do a total brake job with nice braided hoses. I'd think after the HB swap it would probably be a good idea to try a couple of hard panic stops to make sure that you aren't springing a leak anywhere. agree?