Swap 26 gal tank for 34— any mod required?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've thought about this a bit. I would go to Pull-A-Part. Grab the tank and fittings from a Suburban. Take the opportunity to look at the pickup next to it and see if there are any other differences. Buy any other related parts I spot. Bolt my 44 gallon tank into my pickup.

The big question is if the tank would fit with my receiver.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I've thought about this a bit. I would go to Pull-A-Part. Grab the tank and fittings from a Suburban. Take the opportunity to look at the pickup next to it and see if there are any other differences. Buy any other related parts I spot. Bolt my 44 gallon tank into my pickup.

The big question is if the tank would fit with my receiver.
Yup I believe the Burb frame is different in the back. And I can vouch that the Burb tank takes up ALL the available space! Fortunately both my Burb's came with the towing package, so the hitch was already there.

Dangrus4060

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Longbed trucks get the 34, shortbeds get the 25. It's not an optional thing. The front bracket setup is different. I've never heard of anyone successfully swapping it but I don't know if anybody has really tried.

Richard
I have a K2500HD ECLB and it came with the 25 Gal tank from the factory... wish I had the 34 Gal tank!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we're also forgetting that a Suburban/Tahoe fuel filler neck won't bolt to the stock pickup location, and the bed may be in the way of welding it in behind the rear wheels. You'd need to run the tank as an auxiliary to your existing tank and wire and plumb it accordingly.