Subs under rear seat.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowdown112

Reaction score
Got my double din deck installed now I need some shove. Saw this on youtube. How hard do 8's hit? Dont get all technical. Im leaving all the other speakers stock until i blow them. They sound good enough until then lol. But heres the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62JWMSPfrj4

I was wondering if anyone has gotten any bigger size wise underneath it. I measured 10" but maybe if it was angled or something.

Looking at some cheap 8" pyle subs 400watt rms reviews look good so far. Not looking for the loudest setup but just want something with some boom in it. Also what size amp should I get? Thanks. I know how to install everything and make a box just dont understand wattage to speaker ratio.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I have 10's in my truck underneath the seat. Ive never had 8's for subs.

for the best performance you want to get an amp that has the same RMS rating as the total amount of speakers RMS your amplifying.

Crutchfield.com has a lot of info and you can chat with a guy online and tell him what you want to do and he can recommend an amp.

bullas1022

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
8s sound good there a real tight crisp bass tone. But I wouldn't waste my money on a low end brand like Pyle boss Sony xplod visonic or planet audio just to name a few. They sound good for a little while if you get a good one out of the bunch but then the start to degrade and sound like garbage. Stick with the name brands like Kenwood Rockford fosgate jl audio alpine and kicker but even the kicker stuffs hit and miss now.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have a 10" slim-line sub under the bench seat in my '97 RCSB. Rated for 600w, with a 700w amp pushing it.
It pumps pretty good, but it's certainly nowhere near equivalent to the DVC 10" competition sub in my '98. (Between the buckets, behind the console.)
I used a box that I built by following some plans that were posted here quite a while ago.
I'll see f I can find those plans, if you're interested.
Never used an 8" sub. If I was to, I'd be looking @ 2 of them. Subs are about moving air. Don't think 1, 8" would cut it.
I've had a 12" sub. They definitely require more power. (& more space!) Even still, I'm not a fan of them. I like the crispness of the hits that a 10" sub provides.
The 12" sounded muddy in comparison. But then, that might of been due to the quality of that particular sub.

Check these. Don't go by the pix. Look @ the dimensions. The prices don't always indicate the quality.

http://www.caraudionow.com/20407/best-shallow-mount-subwoofers/

I've found that the Alpine's require more power than the JL's to do the same job, but the Alpines sound better to me. (1/2 deaf Old-Fart!)
The Alpine's have 15mm of excursion one way, while the JL's have only 9.7mm of excursion.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 12" under my back seat and plenty of room for a 2nd one if I wanted. It's an Alpine Type-S 12", and it only needs .9 cubes for a sealed box, which makes it do-able. Mine is down firing and getting clearance for the excursion plus some air space is really tough though. I'd get a slim sub(s) if I had to do it again.