Stupid rear break question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Qball

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how does the auto adjuster on these trucks work. Does it adjust when I apply the parking brake or brake normal or when reversing?

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
Drum or disc? I ask because most drums Ive seen adjust backing up and hitting the brakes. I have had some car that the parking brake adjusted the disc brakes.

Turbo4whl

Reaction score
The name auto adjusters, is somewhat misleading. The auto adjuster maintains the adjustment. When first installed with the shoes you need to manually adjust the brakes.

If the brakes are installed and not adjusted, the travel of the shoes is out of the range for the "auto adjusters".

As stated, all the adjuster parts must move freely. I use anti-seize on the star wheel adjusting threads.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how does the auto adjuster on these trucks work. Does it adjust when I apply the parking brake or brake normal or when reversing?
WHAT VEHICLE?

254mm (10") Leading/Trailing shoe rear drums adjust the first time you use the service brake after releasing the park brake. Fail to use the park brake regularly (like most folks) and the rear brakes don't properly adjust. GM should have been sued for using this system.

11.130" / 13" Duo-Servo rear brakes adjust when you release the brakes after firmly applying the brakes while backing up.

Anti-seize is not the best lubricant for brake adjusters. Anti-seize tends to have metallic "grit" in it--aluminum, copper, sometimes nickel. It does a fine job of preventing non-moving parts from rusting together. Parts intended to move would be better lubricated with something else--I tend to use white grease.

Turbo4whl

Reaction score
Anti-seize is not the best lubricant for brake adjusters. Anti-seize tends to have metallic "grit" in it--aluminum, copper, sometimes nickel. It does a fine job of preventing non-moving parts from rusting together. Parts intended to move would be better lubricated with something else--I tend to use white grease.

Anti-seize in not the lube most people use. Anti-seize is for threads. The star adjuster is threaded. Doesn't rust up the adjusters like the grease that washes out over time.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anti-seize is for threaded fasteners that get tightened, then stay put for months/years/decades.

Brake adjusters move every time the brakes adjust. Anti-seize is not appropriate.

The '97 C/K service manual, page 5C1-4 suggests GM 5450032 "Brake Lubricant" "or equivalent" for adjuster threads on Leading/Trailing Shoe brakes. That part number goes back decades; the older containers show that it was made by Lubri-Plate, makers of the famous "105 Motor Assembly Grease" (i.e., NLGI #0 (very thin) calcium-based white grease.)

Photos shamelessly stolen from eBay.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Note that in this photo, they've also printed "No. 110-D". Lubriplate 110 is an NLGI #2.5 (semi-stiff) white grease with calcium thickener. I'll assume the "-D" signifies that it's custom-labeled for Delco.

"LUBRIPLATE No. 110 is recognized as an outstanding brake lubricant."

Wild Guess with some evidence: #105 and #110 is the SAME STUFF, except the 105 has more "solvent" to make it "thinner". #105 is advertised as "...excellent rust preventive greases."

5450032 also crosses to ACDelco 179-400. The product must be discontinued--I can't find any current listings under either number.

That same service manual page suggests "Lubricate the shoe pads on the backing plate with a thin coat of white lithium grease."

OTOH, the '97 C/K service manual specifies on page 5C2-3 "Lubricate shoe pads and adjusting screw threads with a thin coat of white lithium grease or equivalent" for Duo-Servo drums.

Last edited:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use a food grade NLGI#2 (aluminium complex based) grease (that happens to be white) on brakes.
Food grade has good water resistance and temp capability (ovens are hot things). Got sick of copper greases drying out leaving their thickener bases like a sponge to soak up salt water off the road.