stuck throttle = dead engine? ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusnoetos

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement. I hope to have time to wrench on it mid week.

Dusnoetos

Reaction score
Well I have ordered a new distributor and timing chain/gear set. Just not looking forward to performing the repairs in the cold. UGG!

Dusnoetos

Reaction score
I will check over the water pump for sure....but with money being so tight will only replace it now if there is any obvious issues.

Now it appears that the timing cover is plastic! (Why??) I understand that it should be replaced...but have any of you guys successfully reused it. Or is it best for me to cough up the $30 for a new one.
I also intend to fully drop the oil pan in order to clean out as much of the sludge as I can. So.... Does any one know a sure fire way to test the oil pump?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I broke my timing cover when I removed it. Replaced with an AC Delco. Don't forget the dabs of silicone in the corners.

Dusnoetos

Reaction score
Well repairs going well.....until I cross-threaded the harmonic balancer bolt.
Totally shredded the tip of the bolt -but easy to replace. My concern is the threads on the crankshaft. Is it safe for me to use a tap to restore threads (knowing that tapped threads are not as precise...)?
Of course I will use red thread lock.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You're only talking the first couple threads so I wouldn't sweat it. Could also use a thread chaser.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will check over the water pump for sure....but with money being so tight will only replace it now if there is any obvious issues.

If you do that it is almost guaranteed that Murphy will be looking over your shoulder and grinning. Water pumps are not that expensive and you are literally already there. Otherwise good ol Murph will trash your water pump about a week after you get it put back together.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you do that it is almost guaranteed that Murphy will be looking over your shoulder and grinning. Water pumps are not that expensive and you are literally already there. Otherwise good ol Murph will trash your water pump about a week after you get it put back together.

Meh, water pumps are easy. I cheaped out on the dually and it leaked as soon as I fired back up. Then later on it miraculously quit leaking, so problem solved. :)

Dusnoetos

Reaction score
(I may make a new thread for this question....)
Concerning the oil pan gasket... I bought the FEL-PRO oil pan gasket - one piece. My confusion is: do I need to use RTV sealant with it?