Strange Power Window Probelm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBrosMo

Reaction score
Hi guys - I've got a strange power window problem that I've tried to fix but with no luck! (93 C1500 ECSB) Three times now I've put the windows down and they stop, and won't go back up for about 30 to 45 minutes (haven't timed exactly)

1. This seems to happen when both switches are pushed at the same time. ie. either both drivers side, or the drivers side and passengers at the same time.
2. The windows stop working and won't move. neither up or down.
3. If I turn the truck off and on again the drivers side will go up very slowly, less than an inch and then stop. Passenger side nothing.
4. After about 30-45 minutes the windows work again like nothing happened.

The last time it happened I noticed the radio (aftermarket stereo) turned itself off and on again. So its like pushing the two switches at the same time draws too much power and causes something to trip. Not sure why the radio would come back on again by itself though. Like a power hiccup.

Seems as if a "breaker" resets itself after the 30/45 minute wait.

Checked all fuses - good. Swapped the relay with the one next one to it on the fuse panel, no change.

Is there a breaker somewhere, or some kind of capacitor? I checked all the wiring diagrams but couldn't find anything.

Thoughts???

BigBrosMo

Reaction score
Where to being on that?? haha. There must be a hundred various ground points for the electronics. Do I just look for every wire touching the body and jiggle it?

cjcarlin

Reaction score
Sounds like your window motors are about worn out. They work harder putting the window up, overheat and shut down until they cool off. Pulling up on the glass while you press the switch will probably help temporarily but eventually you'll need to replace them. I think the radio thing is maybe just a coincidence.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Where to being on that?? haha. There must be a hundred various ground points for the electronics. Do I just look for every wire touching the body and jiggle it?

Engine block to frame on the passenger side. Braided flat wire.
Starter to battery
Battery to alternator

cjcarlin is probably on the right track, though.
Before you change those out, which is a PITA job, check & clean all the switch contacts & the connections to the motors.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
id have to say the window motor. its prolly overheating and it is able to cool off in that 30 to 45 mins. my camaro did the same thing. it would work better on a cool day more so than a hot day.

BigBrosMo

Reaction score
Hey well since this happened last September the problem went away so I never tried fixing it...

But now its back, just on the passenger side... which leads me to believe it's isolated to just that side. So my plan is to look at replacing the passenger side window motor. But I absolutely want to be sure because apparently replacing this motor is a headache. Someone earlier mentioned that the radio going off and on was probably just a coincidence... but I can confirm it's not. Is there a common point of failure in the loop there that would imply it's not the motor? Or how would the motor over heating somehow trigger the radio power to hiccup?

Thanks