Stock locker in 14-bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are they any good? I've heard nothing but bad things about the lockers in 10-bolts, but was wondering about the 14s. I'm sourcing a 6-lug 14-bolt for my truck and would like to know if it's worth being picky and spending a few extra bucks to get the stock locker.

I plan on replacing my 10-bolt since I'm upgrading to a NV4500 and have heavy oversize wheels & tires. I have a whole 1-ton parts truck, so I'm assuming I can use the 1-ton driveshaft if I go with a 6-lug 14-bolt rear...right?

Last edited:

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stock locker in my 9.5" 14 bolt never did gereade but when I removed it it was leaving plenty of metal flakes in the rear end. Then again it had probably 250K Km's. As for how it worked, well it hardly did.

Toms94z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
personally, I would just get a 14bolt rear that is worn out in side or by chance broken already and rebuild it with some good gears and a detriot locker or trutrac depending on what kind of driving you do most of the time. that is what I'm going to do if my 10bolt goes out again. Granted my first 10bolt lasted til 221k, now it I got it rebuilt with a 300$ set of gears and a detriot true track so maybe it will last close to 200k again lol.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a 14bolt SF a while back and when I pulled the G80 out it had some damage to the little 'clock gears'.
I'm in the process of installing a Trutrac in it. I have one in my 10bolt...which has never faulted.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the local place has a 3.73 6-lug 14-bolt with a stock locker for $200, so I'll give it a shot. If it needs a Trutrac down the road, so be it.

ChevyBoy13

Reaction score
^^^^ Not a bad price at all, i'd go with a Detroit E-Locker, like that you have a limited slip which is better than a one-tire-fryer for the streets and a locker for the trails with a flip of a switch. Just my $.02