Steering Wheel Upside Down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
If it's a tilt column the upper shaft can be installed upside down. I agree with the pull the shaft apart and flip it as it's the most likely cause if the frame checks out. I put the shaft together upside down on Frank when I took the box out so it's an easy fix.

Qball

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's a tilt column the upper shaft can be installed upside down. I agree with the pull the shaft apart and flip it as it's the most likely cause if the frame checks out. I put the shaft together upside down on Frank when I took the box out so it's an easy fix.
Will look into that but wouldn't that make the rag joint be out?

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crap wish I would have found this sooner, my steering wheel was upside down, and when I pulled the cover off the horn /cap the nut was loose enough to spin off with my finger! Pulled the steering wheel off and snapped the little plastic thing. Guessing that was the clock spring. Steering wheel is straight but blinkers def don't turn off on their own.
Entire front end really needs replaced anyway but at least now I know what to do next time!

Qball

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I finally decided to try to flip it at the upper joint in the bay and that seems to have worked and quick check shows clock spring works from lock to lock so I now have a steering wheel oriented correctly for the first time since buying the truck 2 years ago

94ChevyZ71

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the actual name of the top piece that connects the shaft to the steering column? I've recently replaced the rag joint and noticed that I might ought to replace the piece at the top of the shaft and the boot that protects it also. Thanks in advance and bonus points if you guys could attach a link to where I could order one.

Attachments

• Lower steering column.jpg
    Lower steering column.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 10

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the actual name of the top piece that connects the shaft to the steering column? I've recently replaced the rag joint and noticed that I might ought to replace the piece at the top of the shaft and the boot that protects it also. Thanks in advance and bonus points if you guys could attach a link to where I could order one.
Far as I know, that joint is not available separately. You'd replace the entire shaft--rag joint or u-joint included.

On a vehicle that doesn't have an airbag, you might try GM shaft 26015779, along with the longer bolt 11610555. The GM shaft is now discontinued, but there may still be some out there. If not, Dorman sells a Chinese knockoff.

The good news is that this shaft does away with the crappy rag joint. There's a metal U-joint instead.

The bad news is that this shaft won't work with the steering columns that have the extra joint higher up--which I think is part of the air-bag steering column.
You must be registered for see images attach

[Edit] Re-use the upper bolt, replace the lower bolt near steering gear with the longer 1161055.[/Edit]

Last edited:

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought the borgeson shaft for my 1994 K1500. You have to be careful, as the rag joint in mine tore about 3 years later. Luckily, it happened when my truck was down and being pushed onto a rack.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the borgeson shaft for my 1994 K1500. You have to be careful, as the rag joint in mine tore about 3 years later.
If I bought a safety-critical part like that, and it failed in three years...I'd be in written contact (registered mail) with the manufacturer, AND with the US Government--NHTSA and/or Federal DOT.

Wouldn't hurt to contact your state DOT as well.