Steering Wheel Upside Down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Qball

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but, I'm looking for help on how to fix a little quirk of my truck. Since I bought the truck the wheel has been upside down. So far I've tried pulling the wheel off and trying to just rotate it but found that wouldn't work due to the pesky clock spring and holes on the wheel wouldn't line up. I then tried to rotate the clock spring to no avil. I've also tried to disconnect the shaft from the steering box and then rotate and reconnect everything but found I couldn't get the shaft back on the box unless the wheel was upside down. I know the shaft on the box would've been in the correct orientation as it was a new reman I bought b/c my old one was leaking and noticed that when doing pitman arm so figured while I'm in there may as well do that. Any advice is welcomed. It's not a huge issue more of an annoyance b/c I like to keep an eye on gauges and well with it upside down I can't see arguably the most important one oil pressure easily. Also could the wheel being upside attribute to the fact that sometimes my turn signal doesn't turn off when I make a turn? It seems to kinda be random or at least I've not noticed a pattern to it

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What year is the truck? Did you remove the rag joint from the steering gear box? You should be able to rotate the steering shaft 180° if you loosen the bolt on the rag joint where is is connected to the steering box I am almost sure. I know I have clocked mine by doing this 1,2,or even 3 clicks left or right. No need to remove anything, just loosen the keeper bolt. And yes this will effect the turn signal turning off when turning the wheel.

Attachments

• 20160116_143453.jpg
    20160116_143453.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 20

Qball

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year is the truck? Did you remove the rag joint from the steering gear box? You should be able to rotate the steering shaft 180° if you loosen the bolt on the rag joint where is is connected to the steering box I am almost sure. I know I have clocked mine by doing this 1,2,or even 3 clicks left or right. No need to remove anything, just loosen the keeper bolt. And yes this will effect the turn signal turning off when turning the wheel.
It's a 96 like I said when I had the steering shaft disconnected to replace the steering box it seemed to only wanna reconnect a 180 out

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's a 96 like I said when I had the steering shaft disconnected to replace the steering box it seemed to only wanna reconnect a 180 out
Thats wired. You may be able to pull the steering shaft out, and pull it apart, then put it back 180° or you be able to replace the rag joint, and flip that 180°

Qball

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats wired. You may be able to pull the steering shaft out, and pull it apart, then put it back 180° or you be able to replace the rag joint, and flip that 180°
Idk like I said when I replaced the steering box I found that I was only able to get it to go onto the steering shaft 180 out and it wasn't easy it took me and one other person each with a pry bar to work it on

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Idk like I said when I replaced the steering box I found that I was only able to get it to go onto the steering shaft 180 out and it wasn't easy it took me and one other person each with a pry bar to work it on
Try this. Take the coupler ( rag joint) off of the steering box. Then pull the shaft off of the steering rod. It is a little long, but it will pull apart. Look at the splines. You may be able to rotate that 180°. That shaft scopes in and out, and will pull apart.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, I know this is on a square body , and not on a gmt400, but a little over 1/4 of the way into this video, the guy points at a 12 point bolt at the rag joint, where it connects to the steering box. That is the bolt that you have to loosen up so you can turn the steering shaft, and align the steering wheel. My truck is a 97. I have replaced the steering gear box 3 times in my truck, and I also replaced the rag joint. On our trucks, once you loosen that 12 point bolt, you should be able to rotate the steering wheel to make it align. I have done this on my truck after some not so grate front end alignments and my steering wheel being not centered. You should not have to pull anything apart. Once that bolt is loose, you should be able to turn the steering wheel, without turning the steering box.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Copied and pasted from another thread:

The FIRST thing you need to do is figure out where the steering box center point (High point) is, in relation to the steering wheel. "Center point" on the box, dead-centered steering wheel, and "straight down the road" all need to coincide. Two out of three isn't good enough.