Steering wheel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sketch

Diesel Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got a free steering wheel out of a 2006 Trailblazer that had been in a rear end collision, so the air bag did not deploy. I was wondering if it would swap into my 1994 K2500. I understand the horn wont work, I just assume I'll figure out a way to run it on a hidden toggle switch out of sight.

You must be registered for see images attach

thanks in advanced

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
check this out buddy, not sure whether or not it would be worth the hassle i realize your column is different so im not entirely sure whether itll work or not.
http://www.cruizers.org/steeringwheel.html

Yup, pretty much the same way I put a CTSV wheel on my 98. Not a bolt on by any means. Cutting new splines is not for beginners. Get it wrong and the wheel will spin at the worst possible moment, sit too high on the column or bottom out on the plastic/clock spring.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, pretty much the same way I put a CTSV wheel on my 98. Not a bolt on by any means. Cutting new splines is not for beginners. Get it wrong and the wheel will spin at the worst possible moment, sit too high on the column or bottom out on the plastic/clock spring.

okay so i dont understand why you posted nope as a reply when in fact it can be swapped?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To the OP, nope is the easiest answer. The 94 and down column is much different from a 95 and up.
Yes it can be made to fit but it requires a fair amount of skill and if you screw up it can be your life and other people's lives at risk.

Sketch

Diesel Owner
Reaction score
Amatures. Lol. That looks like one of the easiest conversions i have seen besided plug and play. You are talking to someone who makes his money parting out vehicles for a junk yard. Hence the free steering wheel..

I am assuming the 95+ steering wheels require the same process? Not sure if id like the looks of a 98 steering wheel better or not. I could just stop being lazy and do a complete interior swap but I think ill wait to do that when i paint the truck.

I simply asked because I have never really looked in to it before now. And wanted to know what kind of time i needed to complete the swap. In otherwords an hour with a puller and socket set or several making cuts and taking measurements.

Sent from the driver's seat of a 6.5 Turbo Diesel

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
After clicking on the link, seeing what it takes, and considering the safety issues, "nope" seems to be the best answer. Wanting to know if it will swap isn't exactly the same as asking if it can be made to work. The handlebars on my kid's bike could be made to work as a steering wheel, but I wouldn't call that a swap.

If you have the skills and feel froggy, go for it.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Amatures. Lol. That looks like one of the easiest conversions i have seen besided plug and play. You are talking to someone who makes his money parting out vehicles for a junk yard. Hence the free steering wheel..

I am assuming the 95+ steering wheels require the same process? Not sure if id like the looks of a 98 steering wheel better or not. I could just stop being lazy and do a complete interior swap but I think ill wait to do that when i paint the truck.

I simply asked because I have never really looked in to it before now. And wanted to know what kind of time i needed to complete the swap. In otherwords an hour with a puller and socket set or several making cuts and taking measurements.

Sent from the driver's seat of a 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Seeing how you part out vehicles for a junkyard, you would realize your 1994 has a saginaw column, which is completely different then that how-to...

for the safety on yourself and others, please dont do this, Saginaw columns can fit alot of steering wheels, even factory airbag ones from buicks and caddy's from the early 90's..

Sketch

Diesel Owner
Reaction score
reading several articles on this swap I have read a few hat say you can cut the centers out and TIG weld the 94 center in to the newer wheel. My issie is, I dont like the looks of the older wheels. I don't know why, I just never have.