Steering wander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnDenver

Reaction score
Are there any other replacement Rag joints for a 95 K2500 other than that Lares from Rock Auto? I can't seem to find any. I would rather not grind off the stock rivets if I dont have to. Isn't it just the rubber that needs to be replaced?
Yes, the rubber disc is the only part that needs replaced, but you can’t remove it without grinding off the big rivers that hold it on. You can buy a kit with just the rubber disc, and maybe bolts, but you still have to use a grinder.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Lares kit is the only repair kit I've seen for this application. I dunno why that is. Companies like Dorman and Borgeson offer kits for other vehicles, but supposedly nothing for our trucks. It's strange. These kits are just a rubber disc and some hardware to replace the rivets... how hard can it be to offer another kit with a different diameter & bolt pattern? Or do they already make the right kit, and we just don't know that it fits because they never included our trucks in the application list?

I put the Lares ones on my truck a couple of years ago, and it's holding up great. Now I just wish that I had measured the old disc before throwing it away. Maybe then we'd know if any of those other kits fit.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought mine @ auto zone. Think it was a dorman, but not 100 percent sure. Its been a few years.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All I can add is I always noticed my 1989 shortbox was all over the road during normal driving ,regular sized tires, no lift, no drop etc ....my 89 had an EVO pump on it (not sure if it was original to the truck ) but not electrically connected with any wires etc ...that pump started to whine REALLY bad ...I ended up putting a 1992 Camaro pump on it. It IMMEDIATELY felt better going down the road , no wandering or correcting necessary going down the road or interstate , no correcting after hitting bumps etc etc....again my EVO pump did not have the electrical connection connected to it ...so i attributed it all to that EVO pump ....FWIW .

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
All I can add is I always noticed my 1989 shortbox was all over the road during normal driving ,regular sized tires, no lift, no drop etc ....my 89 had an EVO pump on it (not sure if it was original to the truck ) but not electrically connected with any wires etc ...that pump started to whine REALLY bad ...I ended up putting a 1992 Camaro pump on it. It IMMEDIATELY felt better going down the road , no wandering or correcting necessary going down the road or interstate , no correcting after hitting bumps etc etc....again my EVO pump did not have the electrical connection connected to it ...so i attributed it all to that EVO pump ....FWIW .

That makes sense. It was providing full pressure all the time since you didn't have the electronics to modulate that pressure .

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any resolve here? I'm debating my path forward and it doesn't look cheap, I've actually found more expensive gearboxes than redhead but on a lifted truck they add some extra needle bearings to keep the pitman arm shaft stable, which is the problem I'm having along with full boost condition from dead EVO sensor.

Has anyone replaced the EVO wheel sensor and still had issues (ie the valve on the pump is bad?) I would hate to spend the $40-$60 on the sensor just to find out the EVO valve is bad.

Also any experience with Oreilly pumps? They have a lifetime warranty and come with the EVO delete kit installed for roughly $20 more than the EVO kit...

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

1998SSLT

Reaction score
Any resolve here? I'm debating my path forward and it doesn't look cheap, I've actually found more expensive gearboxes than redhead but on a lifted truck they add some extra needle bearings to keep the pitman arm shaft stable, which is the problem I'm having along with full boost condition from dead EVO sensor.

Has anyone replaced the EVO wheel sensor and still had issues (ie the valve on the pump is bad?) I would hate to spend the $40-$60 on the sensor just to find out the EVO valve is bad.

Also any experience with Oreilly pumps? They have a lifetime warranty and come with the EVO delete kit installed for roughly $20 more than the EVO kit...

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

I've got Oreilly box on mine changed it out three times. Wished I'd known about Bluetop box at the time. If you haven't gotten a new lower intermediate shaft yet I'd do that also. But would abandon the EVO completely if at all possible. I've put kit on my pump unplugged my steering sensor but pump is getting noisy now after only two years. Will go with okderostyle pumppand bluetop Box next time. I've had this truck for 10 years other than the steering issue I love it. 98 GMC Sierra SLT Ext Cab 4wd