Steering wander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Strangely enough GM hasn't serviced the valve in years but I sold a guy a position sensor a couple years ago, they were available.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
@sewlow is the elimation kit for it
You must be registered for see images attach

That's it, but not what I used.
I replaced mine with pre-EVO parts.
One line from the S/box to the pump (One less connection than when using the kit.) & a fitting the same as what comes in the kit. IIRC, a whole $9.00 at the wreckers.
Been in the the truck for 3 or 4 years now. No probs.

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Strangely enough GM hasn't serviced the valve in years but I sold a guy a position sensor a couple years ago, they were available.

Yea I found the steering position sensor that goes on the steering shaft under the dash. It’s like $30-$40 off of rock auto.

Have you changed the rag joint?

When i changed the intermediate shaft it came with a new RAG joint on the shaft.

That's it, but not what I used.
I replaced mine with pre-EVO parts.
One line from the S/box to the pump (One less connection than when using the kit.) & a fitting the same as what comes in the kit. IIRC, a whole $9.00 at the wreckers.
Been in the the truck for 3 or 4 years now. No probs.

Sounds like I’m going to the junkyard this weekend YAY!!!!
Need some other parts anyways:driver:

Bigpatsz

Reaction score
Yea I found the steering position sensor that goes on the steering shaft under the dash. It’s like $30-$40 off of rock auto.

When i changed the intermediate shaft it came with a new RAG joint on the shaft.

Sounds like I’m going to the junkyard this weekend YAY!!!!
Need some other parts anyways:driver:
I would definitely check out doing the Jeep XJ intermediate shaft mod. I've done it and it helped the slop out some, cheap and easy to do and it looks good. I've still got slop though and all my front end parts are new as well. Maybe I'll look into gearbox being bad even though its new. I've got a 91 c1500, I don't believe I have any of the EVO stuff ya'll are talking about. I'll have to play with it more when I can get it back on some jack stands.

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Bigpatsz I have read the XJ shaft mod won’t work on the 98 because of the joint under the dash.
Supposedly it only works on the 88-94s unless someone can clarify this...

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The XJ shaft can be used on the later trucks with the 3rd U-joint under the dash, if a brace with a heim is fabricated to prevent over-centering, such as this...

(Not a 400, but you get the idea.)

You must be registered for see images attach

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will a Jeep Comanche pickup have the same intermediate shaft

JohnDenver

Reaction score
Following.

My 98 has very sloppy steering and I am not sure whether it has worn out parts or if it is just intrinsic to this steering system. I can turn the wheel maybe 10 degrees before getting a turn response, so I assume something isn’t quite right.