Steering wander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Following.

My 98 has very sloppy steering and I am not sure whether it has worn out parts or if it is just intrinsic to this steering system. I can turn the wheel maybe 10 degrees before getting a turn response, so I assume something isn’t quite right.
Sounds like the rag joint, but you will need to check out all of the front end parts. You tube has rag joint videos.

semperfi

Reaction score
Have u adjusted the steering gear at the adjustable set screw? Usually had a hex socket in it. Loosen the jam nut & turn the adjusting hex stud clockwise an 1/8 or 1/4 turn. You need to mark it before adjusting so u know where you started. If too tight, steering won't center on it's own. Keep adjusting till play is gone.

SHRT 1

Reaction score
I had the same issues with my '96 2dr Tahoe, replaced all the front end components and the pump (Delco) & gearbox (NAPA) - hated the new gearbox so ponied up the cash for one from RedHead - that made a difference, but still not the greatest. One thing that helped mine early on was to replace the rag joint that connects the steering shaft to the gearbox coupler, they do wear out. There is a cheap kit for this. Some guys even eliminate it and install a u-joint style shaft, but I haven't tried that yet.
There is some info on drilling out the orifice and/or adjusting the spring for the pressure release valve in the pump, but do this carefully.

There is info out there about adjusting the over-center adjustment on the top of the gearbox. The right weay to do this is to remove the gearbox and also adjust the bearing preload. Just doing the over-center adjustment in the truck can cause binding near the center of the gearbox travel, and usally isn't the problem.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
here are a couple of links for you.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JohnDenver

Reaction score
I have a new rag joint on order from Rock Auto. After looking at some of those videos it sounds like the most likely culprit.

Got the rag joint installed over the weekend. I used the Lares part 205, which is the whole rag joint unit. It still requires grinding off the rivets that attach the original part to the steering column, but seemed nicer than kits with just the rubber disc.

Thanks for the help! It drives much better now.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The rivits have to be removed. They go the rubber, and it has to come out to remove the old rubber rag joint. I used grade 8 bolts on mine, not new rivits. Only problem is, you have to grind down the bolts some so they will clear.
You must be registered for see images attach