Steering wander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys. I got a 98 ECSB K1500. 6” lift on 33s. When I drive the truck it feels like the steering is sloppy. At highway speeds kinda wants to wander a little bit. Always have to give the steering wheel input to keep the truck straight.
It did it before the lift too.
It did it with the old steering components. That’s why I replaced everything
When I bought the truck it did it on a stock suspension.

Since I have had the truck I have replaced the entire front end.
Outer tie rods
Ball joints (upper and lower)
Cv axles
Steering gear box
Upper control arms
Shocks
Idler arm
Pitman arm
Added a steering stabilizer
Replaced the intermediate shaft.

I’ve grown used to driving it as it is now but If there is a fix to get rid of the slop I would greatly appreciate it.

And no I don’t want to adjust the worm gear in the steering gear box

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Take a look at the following:

inner tie-rods
idler arm pivot
EVO system
steering gear box... "new" rebuilt boxes are often bad.

My truck has some slop in the steering, and I think my AC Delco rebuilt box is going bad. I had it installed about 4 or 5 years ago. I've read of plenty of guys putting in new boxes and having to take them out immediately, or after a few weeks/months.

If you can actually feel the slop in the wheel, try to move the wheel only that far, and have someone watch the different components up front, and then trade places.... you watch while they move the wheel.

If you're not familiar with the EVO system it boosts power steering assist at low speeds and reduces it at higher speeds. If it's not functioning right, and is giving full assist all the time, the truck is going to need more attention to drive it straight at higher speeds.

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But that’s the thing when I do the “wiggle test” I see no slop in the steering. With the truck off I wiggle the steering wheel and all components in the steering move as soon as the steering wheel does.
I forgot to put in there I replaced the idler arm pivot ::facepalm::

I know the feeling about the steering gear boxes. I went through 3 before I got a “good” one lol.

I’ve heard people unplugging the evo sensor on the steering wheel and say it drove better then it ever did.
Is there a way to test the evo sensors. I got my entire dash out now so I think it would be better to test it now

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I know the feeling about the steering gear boxes. I went through 3 before I got a “good” one lol.

Wow, how ridiculous.... we shouldn't have to do that to get a good part!

I’ve heard people unplugging the evo sensor on the steering wheel and say it drove better then it ever did.
Is there a way to test the evo sensors. I got my entire dash out now so I think it would be better to test it now

I think that gives full power assist all the time, which may feel ok to some people and not to others.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the EVO system. It's never been a problem for me, so I've never throughly investigated it.

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tell you what if I had the time, money, and know how I would be doing a rack and pinion conversion.

But one can only dream lol

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I tell you what if I had the time, money, and know how I would be doing a rack and pinion conversion.

But one can only dream lol

Someone has done it!
The guy's dialing in the finer details & apparently he's working on a viable kit. He's a fabricator/shop owner with a water-jet. He's made 4-links & other suspension kits for these trucks for quite a few years already.
I've seen pix of the R-&-P installed & a vid the vehicle driving. The truck's his daily. A lowered rwd. Don't know when or if there will be a 4wd version.

I follow his page on F/B, but I can't remember what the shop's name or his is right now. Might take a bit to find that. Tomorrow.
I've just about had enough of damn near everything today.
Vehicles. Computers. Suppliers. Customers. Dog breeders. Grrr!
It's been one of 'those'!

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I think that gives full power assist all the time,

Yup! Leaves the pump in full-boost all the time.
Sooner or later, probably sooner, this will happen...

You must be registered for see images attach

The EVO will be puking out fluid as fast as you can dump it in.
Eliminate that POS.
Even GM realized that that system was poop & has made an EVO elimination kit. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe that GM even carries parts for the EVO anymore.

Last edited: