Steering gearbox options from other models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
In the process of replacing the front A-arms, tie rods and rag joint, I discovered the steering gearbox is leaking from the steering input shaft. I also suspect it is a bit on the loose side. With 240K miles on the clock I was thinking just finding a lower mile box from something like a Camaro or whatever with a quicker ratio.

Does anyone have any recommendations as what would basically be a plug and play box?
Thanks!

Ken

EDIT: I haven't driven the truck yet as I need to get an alignment done. I guess if it drives OK then maybe just a seal kit and adjustment for the stock box??? Driving before was like trying to heard a snake in a strait line!

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a previous thread, and he gives years and models of GM vehicles, with ratios. And some servicing info. Search for steering box gear swap, upgrades.

kenh

Reaction score
There is a previous thread, and he gives years and models of GM vehicles, with ratios. And some servicing info. Search for steering box gear swap, upgrades.
Thanks! I think I found it. F body guts in the 400 case.

After I get my truck aligned I'll make a final determination on how it steers.

Ken

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I look at the borgeson boxes, the more I like them.

kenh

Reaction score
Caman96, I tried to quote your post but the damn adds cover the insert quote button and I can't scroll to reveal the button.
That is good information and worth investigating. While $500 is a lot of cash to me it is still much better than some of the $800+ options and should like they are trying to use good parts or at least an attempt at quality control.

Ken

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caman96, I tried to quote your post but the damn adds cover the insert quote button and I can't scroll to reveal the button.
That is good information and worth investigating. While $500 is a lot of cash to me it is still much better than some of the $800+ options and should like they are trying to use good parts or at least an attempt at quality control.

Ken
All credit to @SNCTMPL. It was his post I saw this.

JJF20

Reaction score
I always recommend Blue Top. I’ve used several now, never an issue. He Replaces the plain bearing / bushing with a roller. Worth the money imho.

I’ve never heard of a bad gear box from him either.

Last edited: