Steering gear pitman seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I meant if you changed the seals orientation instead of riding in a groove they would be riding on a smooth place, since they both would then be riding in a new position.
Not sure what you mean here. If the pitman shaft has grooves in it on the seal surface, it's damaged and needs to be replaced. If you reverse those seals, or place them incorrectly you'll either have a seal that doesn't work correctly, or you'll experience premature wear of the seal making you have to change the seal out again. They're in a specific order for a reason, while I don't remember exactly what that order is, I do know that changing the order is not a good idea. Just remember, parts are cheap compared to a serious accident involving you or a loved one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

454C2500

Reaction score
Bringing back an old thread!

About to do this job and was planning on doing it with the box still in the truck. Looks like I can remove those 4 bolts and pull the sector shaft right out, install new seals, and then bolt it all back together. Does this sound reasonable or does the box have to come out?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bringing back an old thread!

About to do this job and was planning on doing it with the box still in the truck. Looks like I can remove those 4 bolts and pull the sector shaft right out, install new seals, and then bolt it all back together. Does this sound reasonable or does the box have to come out?

Not sure that the shaft would clear the fan shroud, but it might. Seems no more difficult to pull the box off than to do it in an awkward position, but that's more preference than anything.

Last edited:

454C2500

Reaction score
I do see what you mean. I was hoping to leave it be and do the job real quick on the truck but it may be to my benefit to have the box on the bench where I can clean it real well and respray it afterward.