Starter shim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no idea where this conversation went.
I would dig back into it but I just dont have that level of concern.
So Im gonna restate what I said too begin with and do with it whatever.
You can pull the entire oil cooler assembley from the rad to the block mounted cooler in about 30 minutes.
maybe 45 if you dont know where your tools are.
1 hour if you take a beer break.
You can easily pull that entire thing and chuck it in the yard and eliminate it.
It is easy as hell.
I also dont care if this thread was actually about any of that.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Old...strange? Have you no respect for dyed hair?

So...you think...the coolant from the radiator flows back to the oil filter adapter? The oil is cooled in the adapter?

Not unheard of. Some GM coolers genuinely do work that way. The ones on my Luminas, for example. And some older Corvettes have worked that way. There's a heat exchanger between the block and the oil filter, plumbed into the cooling system. Probably some other applications I don't remember offhand.

But not in this case. When those hoses leak, they leak oil, not coolant. The cooler is in the radiator, just like the trans cooler in the other tank. Your metal lump is just the valve-and-passage system that diverts oil TO (and from) the cooler, via those leaky hoses, and to/from the oil filter.
Good god what on earth are you talking about and what mental twist got you to that conclusion?
At startup, the cold oil gets sucked up by the oil pump and feeds the topend and exchanes its heat with the cold parts which makes it all get toasty warm and heats my toes and makes it so my Wife gets in the truck after about 45 minutes.
Maybe.
What the...
Im pretty sure the coolant runs through the one way vacuum kickdown linkage valve through the optional glove box pizza oven and glove box warmer.
It kinda works the same way as sticking your head in the oven while calling yourself a pot pie.
You really should try it

Last edited:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WTF? The only thing you have pictured is the adapter and the oil lines. As stated the actual cooler is in the radiator.
You are right, I dont know what I was thinking.
I know the cooler is in the rad. Ive always known that I was just having a little mind **** going on.
Sorry folks, Ill look back through all of this and see where I went sideways on the subject.
I sometimes loose the thread and forget what the hell we were talking about.
I got all wrapped up in oil cooler adapter because I see so many people fighting with the damn thing so I thought I would show a way to get it out easy.
I apologize for being a dick and ill work on my reading comprehension skills.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Old...strange? Have you no respect for dyed hair?

So...you think...the coolant from the radiator flows back to the oil filter adapter? The oil is cooled in the adapter?

Not unheard of. Some GM coolers genuinely do work that way. The ones on my Luminas, for example. And some older Corvettes have worked that way. There's a heat exchanger between the block and the oil filter, plumbed into the cooling system. Probably some other applications I don't remember offhand.

But not in this case. When those hoses leak, they leak oil, not coolant. The cooler is in the radiator, just like the trans cooler in the other tank. Your metal lump is just the valve-and-passage system that diverts oil TO (and from) the cooler, via those leaky hoses, and to/from the oil filter.
Shurckey, I see where this all went sideways, I thought you were talking about the cooler lines at the oil filter adapter and missed the part about it being the lines into the radiator.
So I misunderstood what you were talking about and went on to try and show how easy it is to pull the cooler lines and adapter.
And it is, if you can get the lines loose.
But it isnt, if you cant.
We were talking about two very different problems and I didnt grasp that.
And I got pissed and doubled down on it.
I thought I was being helpfull by explaining an easy way out of a problem that you didnt have to begin with.
I was an ass and I hope you will accept my apology.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are right, I dont know what I was thinking.
I know the cooler is in the rad. Ive always known that I was just having a little mind **** going on.
Sorry folks, Ill look back through all of this and see where I went sideways on the subject.
I sometimes loose the thread and forget what the hell we were talking about.
I got all wrapped up in oil cooler adapter because I see so many people fighting with the damn thing so I thought I would show a way to get it out easy.
I apologize for being a dick and ill work on my reading comprehension skills.
It happens man.