Squeaky belt help!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I'm gonna just start throwing parts at it I suppose my new tensioner plus have been bad from the start? Is there a way to check this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possible, but not probable.

To test it, use a mechanics stethoscope and place it on the center bolt while it's running.

BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU DO THIS BECAUSE YOU ARE CLOSE TO THE BELT! NO LOOSE CLOTHING!

A mechanics stethoscope is safer than something like a screwdriver because it's long and flexible and it keeps you further away from the belt. About 20 bucks should get you one. They're great for troubleshooting other things too.

If the tensioner is bad, the squeal will be louder there.

You can go around and touch it to your other accessories also: the alternator close to the pulley, the PS pump close to the pulley, and so on. Removing the clutch fan will make it easier to "hear" where the noise is louder. The clutch fan imparts a lot of noise to the area in general.

Don't try the WP, it's just buried too deep in too narrow a spot and too close to the belt and fan.

It's not an exact science, but I've used this method before to narrow a difficult accessory drive noise to a component.

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Possible, but not probable.

To test it, use a mechanics stethoscope and place it on the center bolt while it's running.

BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU DO THIS BECAUSE YOU ARE CLOSE TO THE BELT! NO LOOSE CLOTHING!

A mechanics stethoscope is safer than something like a screwdriver because it's long and flexible and it keeps you further away from the belt. About 20 bucks should get you one. They're great for troubleshooting other things too.

If the tensioner is bad, the squeal will be louder there.

You can go around and touch it to your other accessories also: the alternator close to the pulley, the PS pump close to the pulley, and so on. Removing the clutch fan will make it easier to "hear" where the noise is louder. The clutch fan imparts a lot of noise to the area in general.

Don't try the WP, it's just buried too deep in too narrow a spot and too close to the belt and fan.

It's not an exact science, but I've used this method before to narrow a difficult accessory drive noise to a component.

Thanks! Its kind of annoying..I do frame work, motor swap, tranny swap, and just about everything else you can think of but when it comes to a squeal...... im scratching my head.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I had the same prob with my '98'!
Changed everything that rotates on the front of the engine. Multiple belts, too.
Except for the PS pump. Requires a puller that I don't have.
Drove fine. No PS fluid loss.
Had me going nuts for weeks!
Of course it was that pump! Of course, of course, of course!
That was an expensive lesson!

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you changed the ps pulley you need to verify that alignment.