Squeaky belt help!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been dealing with a squealing belt for months now, and I've dumped more money into fixing it than i'd like to admit. Had it looked at by a mechanic and still no idea why its squealing. Can you guys throw out any ideas as to why this is happening??

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check the tensioner, check the alternator bearing behind the pulley. have you changed anything lately? if the ps pulley is out of alignment as little as 1/16 inch that will do it. is the belt wearing at all on 1 side more than the other? take the belt off and clean every pulley with degreaser and wipe clean, install a new belt and see if it goes away. an old band aid has been to dust the belt with baby powder.

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check the tensioner, check the alternator bearing behind the pulley. have you changed anything lately? if the ps pulley is out of alignment as little as 1/16 inch that will do it. is the belt wearing at all on 1 side more than the other? take the belt off and clean every pulley with degreaser and wipe clean, install a new belt and see if it goes away. an old band aid has been to dust the belt with baby powder.

Here's what i've done, New tensioner, new alternator, new pulley on AC Pump. cleaned all pullys and put a new belt on. it started squeaking after 50 miles????

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's what i've done, New tensioner, new alternator, new pulley on AC Pump. cleaned all pullys and put a new belt on. it started squeaking after 50 miles????

My waterpump is good and not dripping

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have you checked the pulleys with a straight edge? like I said the ps pulley doesn't have to be off by much to cause issues. take a bar of soap and touch one edge of the belt, if it makes no difference then try the other side. if its out of alignment one side should change the sound.

Amp24 7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have you checked the pulleys with a straight edge? like I said the ps pulley doesn't have to be off by much to cause issues. take a bar of soap and touch one edge of the belt, if it makes no difference then try the other side. if its out of alignment one side should change the sound.

touching the sides does nothing. but touching the bottom of the belt stops the squeal for maybe 30 seconds.