Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another thing worth mentioning about those Anzo 211140s...

If you look closely at the pictures and compare them to the factory tails, you can see that the reverse light portion of the Anzo housings wraps all the way around the bottom of the lens instead of the little rectangular window on the factory housings. This makes the reverse lights much more effective by throwing light farther around the rear corners of the truck. You can see a lot better backing up at night if you're running some good bulbs.

EDIT - The reverse lights on the Anzos also line up almost perfectly with the bottom edge of the aluminum Chevrolet tail gate banners that some trucks have, which looks nice if you care about things like that.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Z71 Hobbs, I actually have access to a few of these set ups, so getting then isn't hard, but how much brighter are they vs the composite setup, vs the large sealed W/T style?
I can't recall if we discussed those in this thread.

I'm leaning on buying the Spyder glass lens replacement for the composite and modifying them with the stock holding assembly because the Spyder version is garbage.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Z71 Hobbs, I actually have access to a few of these set ups, so getting then isn't hard, but how much brighter are they vs the composite setup, vs the large sealed W/T style?
I can't recall if we discussed those in this thread.

I emailed Daniel Stern and asked him that exact question about the '88-'90 quad sealed beams. He was of the opinion that they would be a downgrade from a good composite setup.

The LED W/T housings would definitely be a good upgrade, but I'm not sure about the standard W/T 5"x7" sealed beams. I would think that the composite halogens would be better.

Last edited:

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That guy is amazing.

I do recall the W/T conversions and was afraid the older quads might provide less light, as they have less lens to project through.

Additionally, I do intend to upgrade to the Ultra High Beam (w/Hi-Low) and do the direct battery current upgrade. I did them to my '92 Z71 and it was pretty interesting to watch my battery guage drop at stop signs when out in the boondox.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I emailed Daniel Stern and asked him that exact question about the '88-'90 quad sealed beams. He was of the opinion that they would be a downgrade from a good composite setup.

The LED W/T housings would definitely be a good upgrade, but I'm not sure about the standard W/T 4"x6" sealed beams. I would think that the composite halogens would be better.

I’m not sure if his study takes into account the use of the lmc housings that use the 9005/9006 bulbs, or the Bosch e code housings. My guess would be no on the Bosch e codes.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m not sure if his study takes into account the use of the lmc housings that use the 9005/9006 bulbs, or the Bosch e code housings. My guess would be no on the Bosch e codes.

Not sure how he feels about the E-codes, but I'm pretty sure he's not a fan of the LMC conversion housings or any aftermarket housings for that matter. The only aftermarket housings I've seen him recommend are the LED 5"x7" W/T options from TruckLite/GE/JW Speaker. He doesn't like the Anzo composites that I run, or the glass Spyders either. He thinks we'd all be better off with new ACDelco OEM housings. He's probably right too, but I like the look of the non-diffused lenses.

Last edited:

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
...the '88-'90 quad...

The LED W/T housings would definitely be a good upgrade, but I'm not sure about the standard W/T 4"x6" sealed beams. I would think that the composite halogens would be better.

It's '88-'89 in GMT-400, and '89-91 in squarebody, but those fit in the core support and not on a bracket like GMT-400.

df2x4, the W/T is a 5x7 sealed beam. There were no 4x6 on GMT-400, those were on the '81-'88 CK/RV trucks & SUVs. There is no composite that compares to one of the quality 5x7 LED assemblies, the Truck-Lite for example is a marvel of modern lighting engineering.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
df2x4, the W/T is a 5x7 sealed beam. There were no 4x6 on GMT-400, those were on the '81-'88 CK/RV trucks & SUVs.

You are correct, I had a brain fart there. I'll go back and edit those posts. Thanks for the heads up, not sure why I mixed that up.