Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am guessing this has been asked before, but I just want to be sure: Can I put a 9012 HIR2 bulb in a clear chrome housing with a glare cap? I know I safely can put 9011 HIR's in the high beams, but just didn't know if I would blind anybody. I thought if the headlights have a glare gap, then it's OK to run 9012 HIR2's in the low beams?

Here are the headlights I am looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Spec-D-Tunin...8-454------------1&vehicleName=1997+GMC+K1500

Also planned on getting the HD harness and 4-HI from LMC. This is all for my 97.

Edit: just read BowtieBrody's HIR conversion and that answered my question. His has the glare cap.

Yup, as long as your low beam spot in the housings has a glare cap you can use a 9012 with no issues.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I miss this thread... as an FYI, picked up another GMT400: Black '98 GMC K1500, 305/4L60E/3:73 Pegleg, ECSB Fleetside. In the process of upgrading its lighting. My '92 Z71 is FINALLY undergoing it looooong overdue rebuild.
Anybody heard from Shovelbill??

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Digging this awesome thread back up because I've got the itch to improve upon the lighting in my trucks once again. I'm still running Sylvania XtraVision 9005 and 9006 bulbs in both trucks, and some recent research has led me to believe that they may not be all that great. Armed with the great information that we've learned here together, I fired off an email to Daniel Stern Lighting. I asked him a bunch of questions about the headlights in these trucks and what bulbs he recommends these days. Here's the summary of what he told me.

As many of us know, the composite housings in these trucks are not a great design to begin with. The best option would be swapping to a W/T grille that uses the 5x7 rectangular sealed beam headlights, enabling the use of the TruckLite/GE/JW Speaker sealed LED lamps. I really don't want to swap grilles, so I asked him about swapping to the earlier quad beam setup that takes sealed H4703 and H4701 lamps. He told me that would be a step backwards from the composites, so I promptly abandoned that idea.

I asked about modifying HIR bulbs to fit the composite housings, and he confirmed my suspicions from earlier in the thread. Upgrading the high beams from 9005s to 9011 HIRs is a great idea, but the low beams should NOT be upgraded to 9012s in housings that do not have a glare cap as the 9012 bulbs lack the painted tips that the 9006s have. Doing so would cause glare issues to oncoming traffic. With that said, here are the bulbs he recommended me.

Low beams:
Philips X-TremeVision +100 9006
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1OLM1Q

High Beams:
Philips 9011 HIR Standard
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00480J5CW

Hey man, how's you?

Those are EXACTLY what i've been running for some time now in my truck. Absolutely perfect in my opinion......I have the H4 versions in both my bikes too.....another good option is the Osram Nightbreaker +110, I have this in one bike and put them in 2 of my friends......yes, headlight relays too.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Doing good Bill, how about yourself? Good to see you on here again!

oh, i'm gosh dang nuts.....glad you're well...working 48+ hours a week and going to school full time now too. i'm in my second semester going to get my degree for my state license. i'm being prodded by 2 professors to get my bachelors in social work too.

just had my right shoulder rebuilt in January........nuts.....lol

i guess i need to read some and ply catch-up.