Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Anybody concider LED drop in headlamp bulbs that fit stock composite lamp housings? I saw these on evilbay and was wondering if anybody pulled the trigger on a set. I figure if they are bright, then the vibration resistance of LEDs, and low power consumption would also be a win.

The 2019 silverado actually uses LED headlamps. I was checking one out in the parking lot at work today.
They won't work, sadly. The LED in the halogen housing will scatter the light where you don't want it and blind oncoming drivers. You will want to buy projector lights.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anybody concider LED drop in headlamp bulbs that fit stock composite lamp housings? I saw these on evilbay and was wondering if anybody pulled the trigger on a set. I figure if they are bright, then the vibration resistance of LEDs, and low power consumption would also be a win.

The 2019 silverado actually uses LED headlamps. I was checking one out in the parking lot at work today.

Generally the drop in bulbs are frowned upon in the stock lenses, lack of glare cap and the way the LED projects light results in a less than stellar light output; plus the previously mentioned issues of blinding oncoming traffic

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Terrible option on all fronts. You can read back over this thread if you want more details, but the long and short of it is that LEDs emit light in a much different way than filament-based halogens. Putting drop-in LED 9005 and 9006 replacements in a reflector housing designed for halogens will have very bad throw distance, and virtually no cut-off. You'll be blinding other drivers constantly. Putting them in a projector housing designed for HIDs or halogens isn't any better. The ONLY acceptable LED headlights for these trucks are the TruckLite/GE/JW Speaker sealed 5x7 lamps that fit the W/T grilles.

Seriously, read over this thread sometime if you're bored. This has all been discussed in immense depth. It's like a headlight bible in here with lots of incoherent storytelling and rambling in between. :lol:

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
And here I thought projectors worked with LEDs too, nope. "The Headlight Bible" is a good way to put it! lol

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How much more improvement are the X-TremeVisions vs. the XtraVisions?

From what I've read over on CPF, it's pretty much a night and day difference. The Sylvania XtraVisions aren't a bad bulb, but the Philips X-TremeVision supposedly blows it out of the water. The Sylvania XtraVisions are about the best readily available bulb that you can buy in any WalMart or O'Reilly's, but if you want the best you're better off ordering the Philips.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
From what I've read over on CPF, it's pretty much a night and day difference. The Sylvania XtraVisions aren't a bad bulb, but the Philips X-TremeVision supposedly blows it out of the water. The Sylvania XtraVisions are about the best readily available bulb that you can buy in any WalMart or O'Reilly's, but if you want the best you're better off ordering the Philips.
Sweet, thanks! I will get some ordered this week! Driving at night will hopefully be better. If only they had them in stores.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And here I thought projectors worked with LEDs too, nope. "The Headlight Bible" is a good way to put it! lol

They can, but only if the projector was originally designed for use with LEDs. That's the big deal to remember, really. Match your housing with the type of light it was designed for. The reason the HIR upgrade works is that they have the exact same filament location and power consumption as the factory halogens so they throw light in the exact same way from the factory style reflectors. They're just a more efficient design so they burn brighter.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks! I will get some ordered this week! Driving at night will hopefully be better. If only they had them in stores.

You're welcome! Happy to share useful info here. I agree, I wish the Philips bulbs were easier to find. Oh well, I'm excited to try them too!

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the stock front end grille, lights and all. Besides the new stock replacement TYC headlight housings i just bought to replace the peeling, dull and yellowing originals, are the phillips drop in bulbs your discussing what i need to use in these housings to make the stock lights perform their best ?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the stock front end grille, lights and all. Besides the new stock replacement TYC headlight housings i just bought to replace the peeling, dull and yellowing originals, are the phillips drop in bulbs your discussing what i need to use in these housings to make the stock lights perform their best ?

According to Daniel Stern and the majority of the CandlePower Forums, yes. You should be using the bulbs I linked in the first post on page 216 of this thread.

Keep in mind that the bulbs are only part of the equation, though. For best results you're going to want to upgrade the headlight harness with relays to pull power straight from the battery instead of through the headlight switch and factory wiring, and do the 4-Hi mod so that your low beams stay on when you engage the high beams.