Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the rabbit hole, @aball. :lol:

If you need anything clarified or summarized feel free to ask. This thread is a lot to dig through.

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After reading through many many pages of this thread and being totally disoriented wether which headlights to buy, I checked the price for the original headlights at my local Chevy dealer here in Germany:

$420.

Each.

So at least this decision is made. :)
Still need to figure out if I stay with the OEM looks or opt for clear lenses.

Anyway: thanks a lot for the incredible amount of information (even if I only made it through a fraction of the thread yet...).

Here's what this thread is "intended" to be about...... Lol... Maybe.....

The answers to all your questions are in this thread... I'll post it once again for those who don't want to read the whole thing. This info is for people wanting to keep a composite housing with 9005/9006s.

1. New OEM housings if you want the absolute best, Anzo 111004 if you want non diffused clear plastic lenses, Spyder HD-YD-CCK88-C if you want non diffused clear glass lenses.

2. Philips X-tremeVision +100 9006 low beams, Philips 9011 Standard HIR high beams (in place of 9005s). You can run Philips X-tremeVision 9005s for high beams if you don't want to modify the 9011 tabs to fit your sockets. Sylvania XtraVisions are a more readily available halogen that you can find easily at parts stores and WalMart but they're not as bright as the Philips X-tremeVisions.

3. Upgrade your headlight wiring with relays. This should really be number one, it makes a huge difference.

As stated previously, don't run LEDs or HIDs in housings that aren't designed for them, you'll be blinding people. HIRs are fine in the high beams because the filament is in the exact same spot and orientation as a 9005. You don't want to use HIRs in your low beams unless you have a glare shield in your housings, though. Here's a tutorial on how to modify HIR bulb tabs to fit our sockets.

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-91565365470012/how-to-modify-hir-bulb-bases-1.jpg

Spyder glass lenses, a relay harness, Philips XtremeVision +100's (when they die, +130's), and HIR high beams.

I'm happy as hell with the end product......and I'll take responsibility for all the mindless meanderings in this thread too.....LMAO

aball

Reaction score
Ok, one question came up while preparing adding relays to the harness: does this go together with daytime running lights? I figured that a resistor is used to reduce voltage at the lamp, right?
And maybe another thing: is there a recommendation for OEM style headlights with the usual diffused lens?

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After reading through many many pages of this thread and being totally disoriented wether which headlights to buy, I checked the price for the original headlights at my local Chevy dealer here in Germany:

$420.

Each.

Anyway: thanks a lot for the incredible amount of information (even if I only made it through a fraction of the thread yet...).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VIONUY/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VION40/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crazy long thread..lol, hoping to cut to the chase after reading thru the first 20 pages.

Has anyone tried the AUXBEAM S3-9005/9006 bulbs ? I bought the Spyder headlamps and noticed that they are not designed the same as the OEM's on the way the bulbs insert and twist/lock into lens.

Looking for suggestions on what anyone has done to lock these bulbs down into the lens.

Thanks

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

$420.

Each.

I’m guessing you have the single sealed beams that are the Bosch e code. Surprised you can still find them...

aball

Reaction score
I’m guessing you have the single sealed beams that are the Bosch e code. Surprised you can still find them...
Nope, I got the composite headlights (is this the right name?). So there is only one lamp body with two sockets.

I guess the ridiculous price is maybe cause because this headlights have the European style asymmetric beam pattern.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Crazy long thread..lol, hoping to cut to the chase after reading thru the first 20 pages.

Has anyone tried the AUXBEAM S3-9005/9006 bulbs ? I bought the Spyder headlamps and noticed that they are not designed the same as the OEM's on the way the bulbs insert and twist/lock into lens.

Looking for suggestions on what anyone has done to lock these bulbs down into the lens.

Thanks

I actually just installed two sets of the Auxbeam S1 9005s into the high beams in both of my trucks and had no issues. They are crazy bright. I'm running the Anzo 111004s though, not the Spyders. What issue are you having exactly? The Auxbeams went into my Anzos just fine.

Side note though, you really shouldn't be using the Auxbeam 9006s as your low beams. You're going to be blinding traffic for sure. We've done a lot of ranting in this thread about how LEDs don't throw light the same way as a halogen when used in a reflector housing that was designed for a halogen. It doesn't matter as much with the high beams because you're not using them in traffic anyway, but I would really recommend sticking to a good halogen 9006 low beam like the Philips Xtreme-Vision +100s in your Spyders.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope, I got the composite headlights (is this the right name?). So there is only one lamp body with two sockets.

I guess the ridiculous price is maybe cause because this headlights have the European style asymmetric beam pattern.

Do you have a picture? I'm curious if they share any similarities with some of the other models we've discussed here like the Brazilian Arteb GM housings.

Thread about the Artebs for reference:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/acquiring-arteb-brazil-gmt400-headlight-reflectors.44133/

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually just installed two sets of the Auxbeam S3 9005s into the high beams in both of my trucks and had no issues. They are crazy bright. I'm running the Anzo 111004s though, not the Spyders. What issue are you having exactly? The Auxbeams went into my Anzos just fine.

Side note though, you really shouldn't be using the Auxbeam 9006s as your low beams. You're going to be blinding traffic for sure. We've done a lot of ranting in this thread about how LEDs don't throw light the same way as a halogen when used in a reflector housing that was designed for a halogen. It doesn't matter as much with the high beams because you're not using them in traffic anyway, but I would really recommend sticking to a good halogen 9006 low beam like the Philips Xtreme-Vision +100s in your Spyders.
Thanks df2x4, so you're running the Auxbeam 9005 leds for highs and a halogen for lows.

In reference to the fitting, the OEM's light bezels have a thin plastic retaining ring held by 3 small screws. These rings have 3 notches that allow the bulbs to be inserted and twisted into a locking position.

With the Spyders, they don't come with any retainer rings and you can't use the OEM retainer rings because the 3 mounting screw holes do not line-up with the pre-manufactured holes on the Spyders. Thus making no way to hold the bulbs in place.....Unless I'm missing something here

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: