Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks df2x4, so you're running the Auxbeam 9005 leds for highs and a halogen for lows.

In reference to the fitting, the OEM's light bezels have a thin plastic retaining ring held by 3 small screws. These rings have 3 notches that allow the bulbs to be inserted and twisted into a locking position.

With the Spyders, they don't come with any retainer rings and you can't use the OEM retainer rings because the 3 mounting screw holes do not line-up with the pre-manufactured holes on the Spyders. Thus making no way to hold the bulbs in place.....Unless I'm missing something here

You must be registered for see images attach

Huh... Do you have a picture of the back of your Spyders? My Anzos have the retaining rings with the cutouts just like the factory housings. It sounds like maybe you got a set of Spyders with a manufacturing defect.

But yes, both of my '97s are running Anzo 111004 housings with Philips Xtreme-Vision +100 9006 halogen low beams and Auxbeam S1 9005 LED high beams.

EDIT - Just realized I said I was using the Auxbeam S3s in an earlier post when I actually have the S1s. I'll update the other post to avoid confusion.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Huh... Do you have a picture of the back of your Spyders? My Anzos have the retaining rings with the cutouts just like the factory housings. It sounds like maybe you got a set of Spyders with a manufacturing defect.

But yes, both of my '97s are running Anzo 111004 housings with Philips Xtreme-Vision +100 9006 halogen low beams and Auxbeam S1 9005 LED high beams.

EDIT - Just realized I said I was using the Auxbeam S3s in an earlier post when I actually have the S1s. I'll update the other post to avoid confusion.
Kinda hard to see but the 3 screws are clocked at different positions making the OEM retaining rings unusable.

Isn't the Anzo's plastic lens where the spyders are glass ? Would like to have glass and may just have to engineer up something.

OEM (top) Spyder (bottom)

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kinda hard to see but the 3 screws are clocked at different positions making the OEM retaining rings unusable.

Isn't the Anzo's plastic lens where the spyders are glass ? Would like to have glass and may just have to engineer up something.

OEM (top) Spyder (bottom)

Yes that's correct, the Spyder HD-YD-CCK88-C are glass lenses and the Anzo 111004 are Plastic.

I would send your Spyders back for a refund if that's how you got them, though. They're definitely not supposed to ship without the retaining rings like that.

aball

Reaction score
I have these, I guess this are the usual ones, right?

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3 XL mit Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I'd have to pull my GM USA factory housings out of storage and look at them to be 100% sure, but they look identical to yours from what I can remember.

homesick

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was being sarcastic in the fact you may be a convert to the voodoo that is LED lighting........The pics may or may not be representative of real life, but it seems to be a bit "blotchy' and not have a blanket of coverage.....might just be the picture because it's very close to the door.

They do seem to be bright as all fukk.

I agree. I put an LED headlight in my motorcycle and was very disappointed. Your description of its light is perfect.

joe

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree. I put an LED headlight in my motorcycle and was very disappointed. Your description of its light is perfect.

joe

I'm curious which exact headlight you used? Some of the sealed LED housings are complete garbage. The ones that come to mind immediately have the tiny round reflectors that look like an LED light bar.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score

Yep, those are the factory style housings.