Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
totally off topic:
picked up a set of 88-94 side mirrors, stainless, off craigs after work. pass side on mine was getting bad. his glass looked brand new.
he had a 92. looked really nice: emerald green flake, 15" rims, sportside, running LED headlights. encouraged him to join the site and told him about this thread. hope he joins to post his results with his setup.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
totally off topic:
picked up a set of 88-94 side mirrors, stainless, off craigs after work. pass side on mine was getting bad. his glass looked brand new.
he had a 92. looked really nice: emerald green flake, 15" rims, sportside, running LED headlights. encouraged him to join the site and told him about this thread. hope he joins to post his results with his setup.

cool find.....and did he have a W/T grill with LED's?

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
no, looked like Spyders.

well.....perhaps he'll join up and we can get him to a rundown on his setup....mayhaps with pictures so we can see the beam pattern for a comparison to mine and df2x4's setups.....that would be cool as hell i think.

i've been helping the shop foreman with his truck....he has some little crossover SUV thing....and want to upgrade the lights for his long commute on ddark roads back to his home......i think it's a Hyundee or something like that....has projector lows with H11's, H9 highs and 881 fog lamp bulb.....his fog light bulbs are the same one's used in Harley auxiliary lamps........

next up i'll be doing the lighting system on Misty, my 2015 FLD......my wife named her that as she had become my "mistress" for a while after i got her.....LOL.........that's the bike i tested those stupid LED "bulb things" on. i put them in the all the halogen buckets, a single 7" smooth glass H4 headlight and smooth glass fog/aux lamps on the sides....the headlight has a glare cap and the fogs don't.

i already said i tried that to to see for myself it was a ****** idea.....and i proved it to myself and other objective people.......i put up a few pictures somewhere in the beginning of this thread, mixed in with all the other "off topic" stuff.

i'll post all that in here when i get to it.....and that bike will be done before i can ride again, which could be the end of April......i had just put a lot of effort into that engine, the whole bike actually to make it comfortable as possible for the busted old fu@k i was....still am really.

i'll bet you'll enjoy that part when we get up to it.....everyone thinks i'm nuts takin off the "modern" looking lamps to go back to either the dual light i just posted about, that CPI my friend gave me or a good ol' Cibie e-code.....the fogs will be 4 1/2" non-sealed lenses, ol' school style all with good bulbs........i added the aux lights, but the bike has no relays for the headlight, the BCM(computer) does all that **** and the feed for the lights are 14G wire from the harness. they don't get fed from the switches so that won't need to be upgraded......just good lenses and bulbs.

fu@k LED's in reflector housings......PERIOD. in my humble opinion.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i'm not supposed to be moving bikes right now but i wanted beam shots of the new Road Glide Special with the dual LED headlights.

this is the back of the building, not too dark but not too lit either.

low, which is 2 6" side by side lights
You must be registered for see images attach

high beam....it sure doesn't have much punch to it.....i'm NOT impressed at all. especially if you consider that if you buy those to put on your halogen equipped bike it'll ste ya back some $700

for those not familiar with that platform...AMF came out with it originally in 1980 as the FLT Tour Glide...the first bike in the world with a fixed fairing.....was a rubbermounted drive train...shovelhead and a 5 speed....it's inherantly the same bike 37 years late, with all the new tech of course.

this is the "Ultra" modle, has a tour pack and all the bells and whistles.....headlights are the Daymaker LED's.....as space invader as you can get......but it was designed from the MoCo to be like that...JW Speaker makes all Harley's LED lights.

there's 2 styles of the lights....projector and reflector.
projector

reflector

incidentally, this huge 900 pound beast handles like a dream......nimble as hell and stable as can be in the wind and passing trucks and such.......if i were to own a big bagger this would be the platform.....but i'd get a mid '90's version and upgrade it.

i find that 6000K color temperature to be extremely annoying.....i do NOT like LED's in anything over 4600K. it's not "natural" to me at all and very distracting.....everyone else seems to think it's fu@kin great........blaaaaaa

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i was on fleabay and found these....i think i'll try them. have an H3 bulb and a "fog" lens.......this is a real ****** size to get decent lighting from......Daniel Stern recommend me to get the Speaker LED's or amber lenses for "conspicuity"....we'll "see" what's what when we get up to that......this is the first time i saw these faceted lenses with an H3, all the others were sealed beams in 35W.

i'd only use the lenses.....if i can find them separate i'd do that. don't need/want the housings

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Vintage-Style-Clear-Lens-5-12-Volt-Fog-Lights-Lamps-Car-Truck-Hot-Rod/122048882270?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=41668&meid=4ea0f66c89b842d396a3e3406c1030f8&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&mehot=ag&sd=112059734234

here's a part of Mr. Stern's reply to me....the ">" is him quoting my mail.

> i wish i could find 4 1/2 e-code aux lights for my FLD
> and Road King as well....i prefer halogen to LED

Here again, insisting on "E-code" is an error. Without going
to LED, be advised they will never provide a whole lot of
light useful for seeing -- they're too small. You can put in
LED units that produce considerably more light than any
incandescent/halogen option:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008H4LSBG/?tag=2402507-20
or
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GOYOG1K/?tag=2402507-20

If those are too costly, you can swap in a beam unit that
will put these lamps to good use as conspicuity lights to
help other road users see you in time to avoid doing
something dumb in front of you. The original units create a
beam only 11 degrees wide. You can replace these beam units
with selective
yellow wide-beam units (40 degrees wide) so that people
pulling out from
side streets or adjacent lanes will be more likely to notice
your presence
and position before doing so. This is the one to get:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M9NIB9I/?tag=2402507-20

> my run/turn/brake lights are LED for safety

Makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck, because
there is a _giant_ mountain of unsafe junk on the market,
and all of it is hyped as a "safety upgrade".

Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
with one of these. with either a Philips XtremeVision +100% or the Osram 70/65W bulb, it was said to use this wattage on the candlepower forums......so it must be fine.......i'll use the good Philips H3's in the fogs to start.....

guys at work say i'm "going backwards" with the lights......LOL

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
oh yea.....here a view of that dual bulb Star Trek halogen i have to try as well...in case you couldn't "picture" it your mind's eye.

low

high

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
here is the headlight Stern recommends me to use. he has them...with these bulbs:

Last edited: