Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
if you tell a lie long enough it becomes the truth.....

I have seen this many, many times.

Vehicular lighting, especially forward headlamp design is a science, not an ad-hoc field where the average layperson can jump in and produce products that meet required standards.

Of course, there are many products meeting minimum standards that can be called headlamps, but better, higher performing products are available that meet the minimum standards are available.

It's no different in the world of audio, where consumers have been brainwashed over the years that size doesn't matter. Consider that a 20 hz signal has a wavelength of 56 1/2 feet, and a 20,000 hz signal has a wavelength of 0.678". The variation in the wavelengths of audio signals is a ratio of 1000:1, quite large in respect to visible light wavelengths.

Polar response of a loudspeaker is a quantifiable measurement that shows the frequency response with respect to angular deviation off the intended axis, typically reported with scales of 10 degree increments both in the horizontal plane and vertical plane at the minimum, some manufacturers also report a full 360 degree sphere of measurements.

To control the radiation of low frequencies, the device must be very large, especially for free space mounting conditions.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If the auxiliary lighting manufacturers would only include proper ISOLUX diagrams ( essentially a polar light output pattern ) of their products, it would be easier for the end-user to select lighting products to meet their needs.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score

Vehicular lighting, especially forward headlamp design is a science, not an ad-hoc field where the average layperson can jump in and produce products that meet required standards.

Of course, there are many products meeting minimum standards that can be called headlamps, but better, higher performing products are available that meet the minimum standards are available.

It's no different in the world of audio, where consumers have been brainwashed over the years that size doesn't matter. Consider that a 20 hz signal has a wavelength of 56 1/2 feet, and a 20,000 hz signal has a wavelength of 0.678". The variation in the wavelengths of audio signals is a ratio of 1000:1, quite large in respect to visible light wavelengths.

Polar response of a loudspeaker is a quantifiable measurement that shows the frequency response with respect to angular deviation off the intended axis, typically reported with scales of 10 degree increments both in the horizontal plane and vertical plane at the minimum, some manufacturers also report a full 360 degree sphere of measurements.

To control the radiation of low frequencies, the device must be very large, especially for free space mounting conditions.

i'll just have to believe you mike.....i got lost at hertz.......sorry man

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
If the auxiliary lighting manufacturers would only include proper ISOLUX diagrams ( essentially a polar light output pattern ) of their products, it would be easier for the end-user to select lighting products to meet their needs.

it should be required......

those Delta H4's look promising...with the flat lens.......i'd not mind an American light.
halogen is being eclipsed by LED's.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My son just had one side hooked up with the 'new' relay harness on his 2000 Yukon XL SLT and wanted to make sure everything worked, it did. With this picture it is a little hard to tell which bulb is on the harness and which one isn't, can you tell?

I also understand why shovebill said you wouldn't get the harness from LMC Truck, when my son was hooking up the harness for the high beam bulb, both sides, one of the two tabs that catch on the '***' on the bulb, broke. Nice... not, after about 17 years the tabs on the OEM harness are still working as they are suppose to.

The 'new' harness will happen on my truck in a few days. The only reason I didn't post a picture of his low beams is he got a Denali projector set up for his vehicle, so he is running HID's on the low side so there really wasn't any noticeable difference, other than he thought that the HID might have come to full brightness a little quicker.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My son just had one side hooked up with the 'new' relay harness on his 2000 Yukon XL SLT and wanted to make sure everything worked, it did. With this picture it is a little hard to tell which bulb is on the harness and which one isn't, can you tell?

I also understand why shovebill said you wouldn't get the harness from LMC Truck, when my son was hooking up the harness for the high beam bulb, both sides, one of the two tabs that catch on the '***' on the bulb, broke. Nice... not, after about 17 years the tabs on the OEM harness are still working as they are suppose to.

The 'new' harness will happen on my truck in a few days. The only reason I didn't post a picture of his low beams is he got a Denali projector set up for his vehicle, so he is running HID's on the low side so there really wasn't any noticeable difference, other than he thought that the HID might have come to full brightness a little quicker.

Sure looks to me like the left is on the aftermarket harness, the color and intensity lead me to believe this.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I liked your post even though I don't understand it. MY fault not yours. But seriously, thanks for sharing your knowledge.