Spindle Thread Restoral, What Size Threads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spindles had multiple systems to achieve adequate free-play. The two most-common in my experience:

Some spindles were double-drilled, if one cotter-pin hole had too much--or too little free play, the other cotter pin hole would be perfect. Seems like most folks never figured out that there was a second hole, because they never properly cleaned the grease out of the end of the spindle.

Some had a stamped-sheet-steel multi-castellated "nut" that slid over the actual adjusting nut. The stamped-steel deal could be installed in any one of several positions so that the castellations could be lined-up with the cotter pin hole no matter how the adjusting nut was positioned.

And of course, the early drum-brake Toronado/Eldorado front wheel bearings were common, ordinary (big) wheel bearings with ordinary races. Set 17, maybe, two per side. Cheap and easy to find. Problem was, when used on a Toro/Eldo, you bought the two bearings plus a precision-machined spacer in a package deal, as a Set 23, about four times the cost of the two individual bearings. The "adjuster" nut on the end of the CV joint got torqued to spec, with the bearing free-play set by that precision-machined spacer.

You must be registered for see images attach

Been years since I've dicked with my Toro. The later disc-brake hubs used a different bearing assembly. I've kinda forgotten the details.
used to see shims in quite few things that had double timkins. motorcycle wheel bearings, some engines, rear diffs that had a shim stack on the pinion instead of a crush sleeve, etc. You used to see spacers in alot of FWD hubs. Set-up and whether they call for some pre-load or a little free play is very application specific.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is it "best-practice" to Magnaflux certain junk-yard suspension components before putting them into service?

It's something I've always wondered...

Seeing how I don't really hear anyone talking about it, probably not? Stuff like this I try and grab from a vehicle that doesn't look like a high velocity docking maneuver is what took it off the road.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stuff like this I try and grab from a vehicle that doesn't look like a high velocity docking maneuver is what took it off the road.

Roger that.

I was thinking about the case where the needy buyer walks up to the yard counter and asks “You gotta spindle for a 1972 B-body?” and the guy behind the counter pulls one from the shelf…

:hmm:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Roger that.

I was thinking about the case where the needy buyer walks up to the yard counter and asks “You gotta spindle for a 1972 B-body?” and the guy behind the counter pulls one from the shelf…

:hmm:
Done tons of used suspension spec'd out by insurance companies doing collision work. Never had an issue but generally you look over the stuff for Sk*nk marks etc. to make sure there wasn't any physical contact between parts or places where stress risers can occur. This is not to say that I've never put a JY part on a vehicle and it was also bent. Some of the damage can be really minor and extremely difficult to measure off vehicle. Knuckles and stamped or forged parts will generally bend instead of fracturing. Aluminum and aftermarket welded together control arms and some of the bs welded knuckles don't fare as well. never had to have anything magnafluxed.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Done tons of used suspension spec'd out by insurance companies doing collision work. Never had an issue but generally you look over the stuff for Sk*nk marks etc. to make sure there wasn't any physical contact between parts or places where stress risers can occur. This is not to say that I've never put a JY part on a vehicle and it was also bent. Some of the damage can be really minor and extremely difficult to measure off vehicle. Knuckles and stamped or forged parts will generally bend instead of fracturing. Aluminum and aftermarket welded together control arms and some of the bs welded knuckles don't fare as well. never had to have anything magnafluxed.

Thanks for the detailed perspective. I have no experience of my own to draw upon w.r.t. how these parts yield in service and whether Magnaflux’ing might be a benefit.

@Supercharged111 ‘s approach mentioned a few posts back seems to be the best that one could do, i.e., be selective when pulling used parts.

But as @Hipster notes, there are no guarantees.

Last edited:

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found this thread and figure before posting my own, I'd just add to it since it's recent enough. My new drop spindles had a bit of shipping dmg on the threads, so got this cheap kit off ebay to fix it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media