SPEEDOMETER intermittent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motorhead327

Reaction score
Help, my 89 1500 speedometer has been acting up for about a year now. Have had instrument panel out several times and upon reassy it SEEMS to work for a while then back to reading zero or on and off or not at all. I replaced the transmission sender and that was no help. I have inspected the printed circuit board with a magnifier twice. Cleaned the 4 pin connector twice. Only thing I haven't cleaned is the multi pin master connector and plug between dash and instrument panel. Could it be the computer? New parts like the speedo module and circuit board are unavailable. Any help is welcome.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I think what happens with these is the motor for the speedometer walks off the job. Have you tried swapping a known, good used unit in place of your flakey one?

motorhead327

Reaction score
I think what happens with these is the motor for the speedometer walks off the job. Have you tried swapping a known, good used unit in place of your flakey one?
No I haven't bc it means purchasing an untested used one for $120...new ones are not available. But as a last resort I may have to. Thanks for the input.

motorhead327

Reaction score
I think you already identified the area you should address next. I like Caig DeOxit brand contact cleaner spray..

Richard
I looked for that cleaner at auto parts store but they didn't have it. I'll try the electronics supply joint. Thanks.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I looked for that cleaner at auto parts store but they didn't have it. I'll try the electronics supply joint. Thanks.
Sorry; it's not an automotive style product. Electronics supply for sure, or guitar stores, too. I just order mine off amazon.

Richard

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a working speedometer that you can have for the cost of
postage. Send me a PM if you'd like it. It's from an '89 c1500 cluster

Attachments

• DSCN0691.JPG
    DSCN0691.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0692.JPG
    DSCN0692.JPG
    327.6 KB · Views: 1

motorhead327

Reaction score
I have a working speedometer that you can have for the cost of
postage. Send me a PM if you'd like it. It's from an '89 c1500 cluster
Need your address if I'm to mail a money order. I can't seem to find a PM link on this forum or I'd post there. My address is 525 Shiffrar, Nipomo CA 93455 email is [email protected]. I'll send enough for you to use one of those little postal boxes they have. Thanks. JH

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top of this page, just to left of the little bell icon is the little envelope icon. Click that for PM.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Top of this page, just to left of the little bell icon is the little envelope icon. Click that for PM.
Also, you can hover over a member's name next to their post and the pop-up menu will show - click "Start conversation"

Richard