Speedo issues, abs light... speed sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaZo

Reaction score
hi, another problem I'm having with my new-to-me '94 C2500. the speedometer doesn't register anything until freeway speeds, where it is pretty accurate 50-70. I notice when I let off or get on the throttle, the speedo needle rises or falls 5mph or so.

at the same time,I get an abs light shortly into my trip that stays on until I shut the truck down. I can feel the rest brakes dumping and re engaging and that makes showing down very disconcerting. the light doesn't stay on next time I start it. I don't have a scanner and the paperclip jumper doesn't get me a code, which makes me think code 9 ( speed sensor erratic). does this sound right? how to fix this problem? any insight is appreciated.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
hi, another problem I'm having with my new-to-me '94 C2500. the speedometer doesn't register anything until freeway speeds, where it is pretty accurate 50-70. I notice when I let off or get on the throttle, the speedo needle rises or falls 5mph or so.

at the same time,I get an abs light shortly into my trip that stays on until I shut the truck down. I can feel the rest brakes dumping and re engaging and that makes showing down very disconcerting. the light doesn't stay on next time I start it. I don't have a scanner and the paperclip jumper doesn't get me a code, which makes me think code 9 ( speed sensor erratic). does this sound right? how to fix this problem? any insight is appreciated.

Im not sure on a 94 but on my 96 the vss (vehicle speed sensor) went out one time and it did the exact same things yours is doing. But like I said mine was a 96 and it had a nv4500 transmission, that being said though I would bet your problem is also related to whatever type of sensor reads the speed signal on your truck.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Im not sure on a 94 but on my 96 the vss (vehicle speed sensor) went out one time and it did the exact same things yours is doing. But like I said mine was a 96 and it had a nv4500 transmission, that being said though I would bet your problem is also related to whatever type of sensor reads the speed signal on your truck.

x2 on the vss.

KaZo

Reaction score

Thanks for the response. I am fairly sure mine it's the NV4500 also. I assume the vss is the one on the transmission tail shaft? I'll start with replacing this piece and go from there.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I am fairly sure mine it's the NV4500 also. I assume the vss is the one on the transmission tail shaft? I'll start with replacing this piece and go from there.

Yeah its in the tailshaft if a recall correctly its one bolt that holds it in