Soon towing - need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought myself today a brake controller, so getting that wired in. Also going to finish wiring in the flat 4 and 7 connector. Then the truck will be good to go and get some hauling done!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure that the trailer ball is rated higher than the load that you will be pulling. Check to see if you are using the correct size ball. Check the bearings on the trailer. Inflate the trailer tires. Look for cracked, dry rotting tires. Check the lug nuts. Check your differential fluid. Use a hose from the fan side of the radiator to flush debris forward and out of the radiator fins (don't forget the A/C condensor and any other coolers). Inspect for fluids on the backing plates/drums/hoses/calipers. Check your wheel bearings. Check for play in the fan clutch/water pump and inspect the belt. I see that you are from Canada, check your truck and the trailer for rust especially around the frames, suspension mounting points, tongue, wheels and axle tubes. Periodically pull over and check the temp of your tranny cooler lines going into the radiator to see if you are running hot and use the back side of your hand on the trailers hubs to see if the bearings are running uneven temps or if they are hot. Use the manual control on the brakes PRIOR to going over a hill just to check that the trailer brakes are functioning. At the top of a hill do a simple brake check. I hate towing heavy (you are) without airbags to level the rear suspension out because the sag will effect your wheel alignment. A properly set up tow rig will stop decent but it will still take longer to stop so leave more space between you and the vehicle in front of you. All of that being said, GO SLOW! As I teach in all of my classes, "Be the witness, not the accident" and "If you are watching the tail lights of the vehicle ahead of you so that you know that you have to stop, you are following too close!". Not one of my sayings but it is a great one... Have you ever seen the term "GOAL" on the drivers mirror of a lot of the semi trucks? It stands for Get Out And Look. Safe travels!

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have everything completely wired in and tested it all, everything is working great. We have checked all issues on trailer and have been fixed. (Dad towed our 81 TA on it on trip 5 hrs each way not long ago). I always keep the truck in prime condition and have a spare serpentine belt with me. There is absolutely no rust on the truck and have checked everything underneath for leaks and anything damaged and such.. Trailer only has rust from rock chips on front and had serviced wheel bearings before on it. Checked everything out and should be good. I`m going to rotate my tires so that my good (Nearly new tires get put onto the back and set tire pressures higher for the trip there and back. I`m going to be sure I`m stopping every once and a while to make sure tow straps and such are still good and if not will be making adjustments. There should not be many hills other than 1 valley hill and one more down hill not to far away from there. I`m bringing a buddy of mine with me incase something does happen and need some help or whatever. Think I will be bringing my jack and stand just incase something does happen.

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright will go to the local store and pick up a brake controller. The trip will be about 3 1/2 hours each way. I know I will have 1 valley to go through, going up once both ways. What would you recommend for these climbs? I have a picture for the valley I have to go through.

http://readreidread.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/flood-grand-valley-tch.jpg

- This will be the side I go up when loaded with other truck.

Definitely recognize this place Haha. Drove that stretch a lot

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well.... Turns out things were not able to happen and was not able to get the truck. I was hoping to convert my truck to 4x4 with this other one, feeling like it will be after winter. Going to be doing manual swap before hand though.

Yea this is the Grand valley road and way picture was taken you would be heading west. Just between Brandon and Kemnay. My truck didn`t like this hill with 400 lbs of gravel in the back last winter. hah ha.

*Did get trailer wiring for trailer brakes wired in, and everything does work well.

Purefection

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Scotty, my truck was sold to a guy in Virden, let me know if you see it around ever! Curious what his plans are for it!

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hah ha you should have said to me if you were selling it, I am wanting an ext cab short box sometime (Just for more space in cab, plus 4x4 is nice to have!) Assume its the white one you had? Do you what this guys name is, where abouts he lives? What are/did you get yourself in replace?