Soon towing - need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey guys needing some questions answered here as I am fairly new to towing with a vehicle.

I have a C1500 and plan on picking up another vehicle with mine. I have a 1992 c1500 350 TBI/700R4 with 3.08 rear end (Yeah... just lovely for towing.) Reg cab long box. I`m going to be towing a truck on a 18 ft (I think) bumper hitch trailer. Truck is exact same as mine except 91 and k1500. Just put in trailer wiring in my truck. I can now run either flat 4 or the large 7 pin.

I know not to tow in overdrive with this transmission so thats what I`m going to do. I was wondering on some things though.

-Would I be able to stop with out a brake controller? I`m a very cautious driver and would start to slow down way before a stop sign or red light. I have pretty much all highway there and back.
-What to set my tire pressures at?
-What mileage to expect? I was getting 15 in Winter when I did test it, but was very cold out amongst other things. I`m probably going to go at 90 km/hr hauling trailer. (55 mph or so?)
-How much should I have the back of my truck sagging? I know to have the vehicle on trailer farther back so less tongue weight. Trailer will be 2 axle.
-First time towing so what to expect when I am towing?

Thanks for all and any help! I will greatly appreciate every bit of it.

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would not tow that without trailer brakes. Just asking for a wreck.

I would set the tires to the max sidewall rating since that's what the manufacturer says they handle the most load

I would probably expect 8 mpg maybe more maybe less

The truck will sag quite a bit. Try to back the other truck on the trailer if possible. But also make sure you have some tongue weight.

Some tips, you won't be able to accelerate or decelerate at a rapid pace, so don't try to. The 3.08 grkears are really going to suck so its probally best to just accelerate slowly any how. Always go slower than normal and take turns slower. Make sure everything is strapped down really good and all the lights are working.

I think you'll do ok BUT, you NEED to get a brake controller and make sure the trailer brakes work! Other than being dangerous, I think it's actually illegal to have a trailer of that size (weight rating) without brakes.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Center the majority of the weight over the axles on the trailer.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright will go to the local store and pick up a brake controller. The trip will be about 3 1/2 hours each way. I know I will have 1 valley to go through, going up once both ways. What would you recommend for these climbs? I have a picture for the valley I have to go through.

http://readreidread.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/flood-grand-valley-tch.jpg

- This will be the side I go up when loaded with other truck.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to add that if you are using the stock bumper that you attach a trailer ball to, it will not be strong enough to handle the weight. You need a receiver hitch rated for more than your trailer weighs.

And I agree. Don't tow without trailer brakes. Not only is it illegal in most states after a certain weight, but it's not what you plan for that could be an issue it's the unplanned problems (vehicle pulls out in front of you, kid runs out) anything that you can't predict can ruin a trip in a hurry.

Think of it this way. If you were in a vehicle ahead of a pickup pulling a 7,000 pound trailer and you had to slam on your brakes, now would you rather have a chance that he can stop in time because he has trailer brakes or tries to stop but due to no t brakes he overloads the trucks brakes and slams into the back if your vehicle.

Now I'm not trying to be a ***** but you have to get a brake controller! These trucks have a $hitty brake system that has a hard time stopping the weight of itself let alone a truck with a loaded trailer in an emerg. Situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going up I would try and get a running start. But don't get going so fast the trailer starts to sway. And once you get going up I would really lay into the gas and try and maintain speed if possible. Because if you have to slow down too much the truck may really struggle getting up in a timely manner. But, if you hit traffic there and can't get a good start or need to slow down to almost a stop, I would pull off in the shoulder and just see what the trucks got and give it hell. Haha.

I wouldn't over think the traveling part. Just the stopping part.

The temptation will be to get going as fast as you can and hit the hill fast. But trust me, once a trailer starts to sway, it's very hard to stop it before it gets out of control. And obviously the faster the speed, the faster it will get out of control

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright will go to the local store and pick up a brake controller. The trip will be about 3 1/2 hours each way. I know I will have 1 valley to go through, going up once both ways. What would you recommend for these climbs? I have a picture for the valley I have to go through.

http://readreidread.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/flood-grand-valley-tch.jpg

- This will be the side I go up when loaded with other truck.

A hope, prayer and a whole lotta 2nd gear possibly first!

And sorry for repliying about the brake controller. I see you said you are getting one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
During winter I had to go up this hill and have a little bit of idea what I am going to be facing. I was only hauling about 400lb of gravel in the back for traction and it had to gear down. I own this truck but also have a 2000 trans am with ls1 in it. That car definitely does not have to gear down when going up that hill, brakes in that car make it feel like a go cart. What speed should I hit the bottom of the hill before going up it at?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Just to be clear, you only need a trailer brake controller if the trailer your towing has electric brakes. It's less common but surge brakes are also used. They use the weight to press into a brake cylinder at the tongue, pressurizing the brake fluid not unlike your trucks braking system. The best giveaway is the tongue will have a large rectangular box right at the coupler. Another indication is only requiring the flat-4 plug, where a trailer with electric brakes will 99.9% of the time use the round 7 way plug. Since we have covered the braking issue....

A bumper pull trailer needs some tongue weight. Typically you need 10% of the load your hauling (trailer and whats on it). If you don't have enough tongue weight the trailer will easily start swaying and you'll notice it. If you get sway, let off the throttle, gently apply the brakes and hold the wheel still. Get out and re-position the load farther forward on the trailer. Have a quick read on this if you'd like. http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/the-right-way-to-tow-a-trailer

Assuming the trailer your towing has electric brakes and you happen to get swaying, another way to stop it is to accelerate with the truck and at the same time manually engage the trailer brakes with the controller. This helps pull the truck and trailer tight on the coupler. Even a properly loaded trailer can sway in the wind or with the wrong maneuver, this can help quickly re-stabilize things.