Soft/spongy brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So something that has been mentioned but I feel not enough emphasis has been put on it... This is a '97 so the ABS module can be communicated with via a Tech 2 or comparable scan tool. If you have air in the ABS module it will cause a crappy pedal. If you have not had the brakes bled by a shop or someone with a Tech 2 or comparable scan tool which can command the ABS module to stay open during the bleeding process, that would be my first step.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I had brake issues like that on my '96 for YEARS! I never figured out the problem or learned about it until after it was gone. I kept bleeding brakes and throwing parts at it...The ABS module was the only thing I never changed.

If I was less stubborn back then, I could've tried having a dealer hook a Tech 2 to it and bleed it - and it probably would've fixed it!

Let us know how it goes!

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So something that has been mentioned but I feel not enough emphasis has been put on it... This is a '97 so the ABS module can be communicated with via a Tech 2 or comparable scan tool. If you have air in the ABS module it will cause a crappy pedal. If you have not had the brakes bled by a shop or someone with a Tech 2 or comparable scan tool which can command the ABS module to stay open during the bleeding process, that would be my first step.
The tech2 does not have the ABS Bleed function for 96/97, that starts with 98+. There is a function test but that does not bleed the ABS although it does seem to move something. The only way I am aware of for 96/97 is to set off the ABS and bleed.

"It worked great for me, pedal feel has never been better."
Did nothing for my 96

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
If you don't have a Tech 2 scanner another option is to try this method:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It worked great for me, pedal feel has never been better.
I've tried that method, didn't work for me. Air did come out, but not much. And I worked on trying to bleed it for about 10 minutes. Only had bubbles for the first few seconds. The rest of my time it was solid.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Another thing I observed today: I was driving around running errands, when my brake light came on. It stayed on for about 5 minutes before it went off. And I didn't do any hard braking or come to an abrupt stop. Further convincing me it's a pressure issue, and no necessarily air trap in the lines or the module.

Only way I can think of air getting in, is when the seal on the rear right wheel cylinder blew and allowing air the run up to the ABS module. But I'm not sure if that's even possible.

I found a shop that can pull ABS codes, but will have to wait till Monday.