Snap-On MT-2500 What do I need for my truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A friend gave me this MT-2500 in a case with a lot of adapters. I think I have what I need for basic OBD scanning on my truck but I already have a $15 scanner that does all that.
What cartridges, keys, adapters etc do I need to access the full functionality of this tool for the truck in my sig? I would love to use this to flush the ABS, distributer timing, etc.
Sorting through all the accessories, here is what I already have:
Cartridge "Primary Cartridge GM-Chry-Ford-Jeep Domestic Combination Through 1997"
Cartridge "Troubleshooter GM-Chry-Ford Thru 1992"
Keys: K-2A, K-9, K-8
Also a bunch of OBD port adapters, including "GM-1", "GM-2", Multi-1", "OBD-II(B)"

One problem with my unit, the power button works but does not click down. Does anyone still service these?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A friend gave me this MT-2500 in a case with a lot of adapters. I think I have what I need for basic OBD scanning on my truck but I already have a $15 scanner that does all that.
What cartridges, keys, adapters etc do I need to access the full functionality of this tool for the truck in my sig? I would love to use this to flush the ABS, distributer timing, etc.
Sorting through all the accessories, here is what I already have:
Cartridge "Primary Cartridge GM-Chry-Ford-Jeep Domestic Combination Through 1997"
Cartridge "Troubleshooter GM-Chry-Ford Thru 1992"
Keys: K-2A, K-9, K-8
Also a bunch of OBD port adapters, including "GM-1", "GM-2", Multi-1", "OBD-II(B)"

One problem with my unit, the power button works but does not click down. Does anyone still service these?
The power button is fine. You need the power cable that plugs into the obd adapter. That is how the unit stays powered up. You also need the K9 key that you already have.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Yup,the ALDL connector port doesn't have a 12v pin as the OBD2 does,so you need the power adapter.

Shot a pic of my setup:

You must be registered for see images attach

grampadirt

Reaction score
If you're talking about the '96 in your sig you'll need this setup:

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, I have that apdapter and key. So which cartridges do I need? As for the.power, the button doesn't "click" when you press it? I know I turned it on once but I forgot how I did it. It has an internal 9v battery, right? It doesn't stay on with just the battery?

grampadirt

Reaction score
OK, I have that apdapter and key. So which cartridges do I need? As for the.power, the button doesn't "click" when you press it? I know I turned it on once but I forgot how I did it. It has an internal 9v battery, right? It doesn't stay on with just the battery?
No,it needs external power to run,that battery is to remember previous autos and some settings.OK,so when I connect my scanner and plug in the power adapter a screen will come up and ask if this was used on my '95 Suburban 454..etc. so I click the ''y'' button so it then goes to the setting for my Burb,if I was to click ''n'' it would go thru a bunch of questions specific to that vehicle.It does not auto vin.

grampadirt

Reaction score
No,it needs external power to run,that battery is to remember previous autos and some settings.OK,so when I connect my scanner and plug in the power adapter a screen will come up and ask if this was used on my '95 Suburban 454..etc. so I click the ''y'' button so it then goes to the setting for my Burb,if I was to click ''n'' it would go thru a bunch of questions specific to that vehicle.It does not auto vin.
Reread your post....these two are what's in the scanner: