smog pump delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
hey everyone, i have a 1988 gmc 3500 with the rv package with the 454 and 86k on it. the smog pump seiezed up on me and id rather just get rid of it. threw hours of serching i cant find this magical pulley everyone seems to talk about. so my question is.. can i/ is therea shorter belt i can use instead, or does anyone have a link to the pulley. any feedback would be awesome

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Should just be a shorter belt IIRC, your local parts house doesn't list a belt for no pump? I swear that's how I ditched the pump on my 88 with 350.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I believe all the Mk IV L19s used the smog pump. I was looking online last time someone posted the same question and all I could find was with or without AC.

Shorter belt might work, but you'll have to measure..... but it might not work depending on the belt routing. Check the other thread.... it was in the last few weeks.

Reaction score
ive called every parts store in town and they say im talking about the ac. no help what so
I believe all the Mk IV L19s used the smog pump. I was looking online last time someone posted the same question and all I could find was with or without AC.

Shorter belt might work, but you'll have to measure..... but it might not work depending on the belt routing. Check the other thread.... it was in the last few weeks.
its the single belt and it looks like it would work, but theres so much conflicting information. thank you ill check out that thread

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swear that's how I ditched the pump on my 88 with 350.
Yep. Here's the belt routing with/without A.I.R. on my 88 350. I found Rockauto.com listed both. Maybe you can find it there?
You must be registered for see images attach

Grimpala

Reaction score
I used a Gates K061005(K061010 might work too) to bypass the AIR pump, works like a charm.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. I did it on my 90 454SS. You don't need another idler pulley. I ran mine straight from the AC compressor down to the crank pulley. I don't remember the belt number but I can look at it tonight and get it for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wjauto1777