Sluggish door locks???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gravytrain61

Reaction score
I have a 1991 Chevy 1500. Power locks are very sluggish and sometimes have to hit the button 5 or 6 times to get the locks to go down. Anyone know how to fix that?

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Something you could try that's simple and free is pulling the door panel and lubricating the mechanisms and the rods. You can see if that helps.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^X2 - the actuators gum up especially if their little rubber boots fail, which is like, always when your truck is that old!

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1991 Chevy 1500. Power locks are very sluggish and sometimes have to hit the button 5 or 6 times to get the locks to go down. Anyone know how to fix that?
Have the same problem with my 97, works fine if i hold it down for a second though, so I haven't torn into it. Think the solenoid just needs to be greased a little because it's difficult to manually lock it as well.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I just used lithium grease on all the points where the linkages touch something else, slide clips and whatnot... freed them up fairly well and my actuators definitely appreciated it. But then my actuator boots are still quite flexible and intact.

victor II

Reaction score
That happens once a year on my ’88. I don’t remove the panels, just shoot WD-40 into the switches to loosen the sticky grease up, deoxit to clean terminals and then triflow to lube them. Seems to work well and takes less than 10 minutes.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that doesn't work, the grounding point could be suspect?

Bloke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a similar problem on my 98 K1500. Especially on the passenger side. Door locks were sluggish, opening with a key was hard especially on the passenger side and would here rattling sound over bumpy roads.

Had already lubed, change door pins n the door latch bolt. For me was the internal latch mechanism. Got new ones and stopped rattling, easier to lock n unlock with keys or with the buttons.